Question: How do you buy and use euro hinges?

  • Advertise with us

« back to Designing Woodworking Projects forum

Forum topic by Don "Dances with Wood" Butler posted 09-11-2012 01:39 PM 955 views 1 time favorited 9 replies Add to Favorites Watch

09-11-2012 01:39 PM

Topic tags/keywords: question

I haven’t used these things before but now I need a fully concealed hinge for a special cabinet.
The trouble I’m having is discerning what kind of hinge to buy and how its used.
I bought a hinge that was only $.50 and found it inadequate for the project.
So I went shopping for a better one.
First I found one that satisfied the criteria on Google shopping but I couldn’t find the link to actually complete a transaction.So I gave up on that.
Going to Amazon, I found a nice hinge and thought it might do, but there’s a problem with the quantity, the first page says its sold as pairs, but the checkout page says its sold as 1 each.
Not only that, but I can’t figure out what to by with it to make it work. The product description says SOLD WITHOUT CLIP.
Do I need the clip on a cabinet without a face frame?
This kind of hinge would solve my design problem if only I knew how to buy it.


-- Will trade wife's yarn for tools.

9 replies so far

View waho6o9's profile


5191 posts in 1295 days

#1 posted 09-11-2012 02:10 PM

Blum hinges

View waho6o9's profile


5191 posts in 1295 days

#2 posted 09-11-2012 02:11 PM

View JesseTutt's profile


811 posts in 829 days

#3 posted 09-11-2012 02:20 PM


You didn’t say if the door was overlay or inset. I purchase all of my overlay hinges from Sommerfeld they also have a special jig that will bore the holes in the door. They are not the cheapest but Sommerfeld will stand behind their product.

-- Jesse, Saint Louis, Missouri

#4 posted 09-11-2012 02:20 PM

The link to blum hinges opens a page that specifically says They were designed especially for face frame application.

I still don’t know how they are used, with or without mounting clip, sold as singles or pairs, with or without screws, etc.

-- Will trade wife's yarn for tools.

#5 posted 09-11-2012 02:22 PM

My application is full overlay, .75” material, no face frame.

-- Will trade wife's yarn for tools.

View 404 - Not Found's profile

404 - Not Found

2544 posts in 1688 days

#6 posted 09-11-2012 02:42 PM

Do you have Hafele in America?

They will have technical drawings showing the specs for boring, gaps, distances etc for the hinges.

Grasse are a make that I prefer to Blum. If you can find them, try the clip on ones.

If you can’t find any info on the type of hinge you can get, there’s a quick and easy way to get the info you need -

get two pieces of wood, the same thickness as the door and the cabinet, bore a 35mm hole into the door width piece, 3mm (for 3/8” carcase) or 6mm (for 3/4” carcase) from the edge (centre 20.5/23.5mm from edge), fix the hinge into it, attach the backing plate onto the hinge, close the hinge, offer that up to the scrap piece, and mark the fixing plate holes, bore and screw. Hopefully everything will be ok at that, or it might need a bit of tweaking.

When you’re happy with the fit, make a note of the measurements and use them for the job.

View Loren's profile


7808 posts in 2366 days

#7 posted 09-11-2012 06:30 PM

These hinges are pretty pricey when you buy them from
retailers. If you just need a couple, you might as well
get some at a local store and pay a lot.

If you need a lot of hinges, order them from Louis and Co.
or other industry supplier and you’ll save so much money
on them it will make your head spin. Hafele sells direct
but I’ve used their hinges and I think the Blum are better
quality. The Blums use more die-cast parts.The Blums
cost more though.

If you can find a walk-in industry supplier in your area
I recommend checking it out. You’ll get cool hardware
at very reasonable prices and the staff will really know
what the pros are using and why.


#8 posted 09-11-2012 06:46 PM

Thanks guys.
I called OVIS, Supplier of all kinds of things. They have Hettich hinges.
Their tech support guy took some time with me on the phone and got me on the right track.
He says Hettich was the originator of this type of hinge.
Anyway he got me straightened out and my new hinges are on the way.

I must say, this was different from the talk I had with a guy at CSH. He said his stuff didn’t come with templates, charts or anything. His nasty remark was that they were selling to guys who knew what they were doing.


-- Will trade wife's yarn for tools.

View Richforever's profile


739 posts in 2439 days

#9 posted 09-11-2012 07:38 PM

I’ve used EZ Mount hinges. They are sold by a cabinet maker and retailed thru Woodcraft also. There are jigs and measurements that make them easy to install. They are soft-closing and work great.

-- Rich, Seattle, WA

Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics :: gardening showcase