rewiring hf dust collector to 220 volt

  • Advertise with us

« back to Safety in the Woodworking Shop forum

Forum topic by Cole Tallerman posted 08-28-2012 03:02 AM 1328 views 0 times favorited 5 replies Add to Favorites Watch
View Cole Tallerman's profile

Cole Tallerman

392 posts in 2206 days

08-28-2012 03:02 AM

Topic tags/keywords: 220

So I’ve never rewired a tool to 220v but I only have 2 spaces left in my sub panel and I need a new 220 volt outlet for a welder I just got. The plan is to use the same outlet for both the dust collector and the mig welder which means I have to switch the dust collector to 220v. What stuff do I need to get? should i have an electrician check my work? The little box with the wire running into it says “115 volt” will i need to replace this box? Anything helps including videos or web pages.


5 replies so far

View hhhopks's profile


651 posts in 2399 days

#1 posted 08-28-2012 03:09 AM

To start, the fan motor of your dust collector need to be rated for 220 Volt.
When you get your replacement motor, you should able to follow the wiring instruction that comes with it.
Often there is a wire diagram on the motor or in the wire compartment/plate.

-- I'll be a woodworker when I grow up. HHHOPKS

View Cole Tallerman's profile

Cole Tallerman

392 posts in 2206 days

#2 posted 08-28-2012 03:15 AM

It is rated for 110 volt or it can be rewired to 220 volt

View MonteCristo's profile


2099 posts in 2210 days

#3 posted 08-28-2012 03:24 AM

If it’s not a dual voltage motor, you’re stuck on 110V. If it is, the wiring diagram will show the changes that need to be made.

-- Dwight - "Free legal advice available - contact Dewey, Cheetam & Howe""

View lunn's profile


215 posts in 2330 days

#4 posted 08-28-2012 11:13 AM

Can’t change the voltage on the motor!! The breaker must be for a 220v. (the trip handles are pinned together) and proper amps for the welder. As for an extra 110 check the name of the breaker box. Check at a elect supply store. Many brands makes a piggy back breaker. Which gives you 2 breakers in the same space. Or if it’s a ITE, GE, Sometimes they’ll have breakers that take up 2 spaces about 1” wide. They can be replaced with 2 slimline breakes. A 2 for 1 swap. Either way is safe. Working on 440 3 phase while hot scares me !!!

-- What started as a hobbie is now a full time JOB!

View Howie's profile


2656 posts in 2944 days

#5 posted 08-28-2012 11:50 AM

You should probably call an electrician. Not being familiar with what you are doing could result in burning your shop/house down.

-- Life is good.

Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics