Help with a Kreg pocket hole system

  • Advertise with us

« back to Jigs & Fixtures forum

Forum topic by CplSteel posted 08-25-2012 08:53 PM 2707 views 0 times favorited 16 replies Add to Favorites Watch
View CplSteel's profile


142 posts in 2186 days

08-25-2012 08:53 PM

Topic tags/keywords: jig question drill-driver joining

In advance, thank you for your help-
I know how a pocket hole system works in theory… but not how they are actually used. This matters because I went ahead and, at a garage sale, picked up this:

I have no idea if I am missing pieces or not. Clearly the previous owner mounted it to a table (the center part with the clamp and the two similar pieces on either side are mounted to the table), and that seems to make some sense. As for the rest of it, I have no idea how it all works together. Does anyone identify what model system this is, and if you know of a link to a manual that would be great. Any tips would be appreciated, especially 1) why there are these square-tipped drivers and 2) what size screws is this setup for?

Thanks again,

16 replies so far

View ShaneA's profile


6952 posts in 2620 days

#1 posted 08-25-2012 08:57 PM

They use specialized screws made by/for Kreg. A self tapping square #2 head, very nice screws. Avaliable at Lowes WC or many other places. I would think a manual would be available too.

View Kookaburra's profile


748 posts in 2246 days

#2 posted 08-25-2012 09:01 PM

i think you will find a full manual on their website, plus lots of information about the kit you have. it looks like a regular kit with some added accessories, based on what is offered today.

-- Kay - Just a girl who loves wood.

View ,'s profile


2387 posts in 3569 days

#3 posted 08-25-2012 09:19 PM

We have used a kreg jig for a very long time now. I use the jig for face frames and on a very occassional basis we might need to utilize a pocket hole combined with wood glue. For the most part they are just used for face frames in our shop.

We used to utilize a jig set like the one you displayed. Now we have a small bench top drill press set up with a clamp/table top that holds our work piece at the correct angle and allows us to drill the pocket hole in any face frame material we need to much quicker then using a hand held drill and in doing it this way I have a lot less wear and tear on our shoulder. But we might drill more pocket holes then you plan.

It does look like you have a great buy from a garage sale as those jigs are costly brand new.

-- .

View Bertha's profile


13529 posts in 2715 days

#4 posted 08-25-2012 09:29 PM

It looks to be all there to me. Like above, the Kreg screws can be found at Lowes near the bandsaw blades and such. I really like the screw and use them outside the Kreg system. They come in coarse and fine in a variety of lengths and head shapes. You’ll want to locate a chart to gauge the length of the screw versus the placement of the collar on the stepped bit. You should find it in the online manual. Congrats, you’ll like it!

-- My dad and I built a 65 chev pick up.I killed trannys in that thing for some reason-Hog

View TechRedneck's profile


768 posts in 2879 days

#5 posted 08-25-2012 10:42 PM

Watch some of the videos from the website or You Tube. This looks silimar to the master system I purchased a couple years ago. Mine came with a DVD that was fairly good.

This is good for face frames and quick shop stuff. I always use some glue for extra strength. I would not use it on a nice table or quality piece but is a good addition to your set of tools.

-- Mike.... West Virginia. "Man is a tool using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all.". T Carlyle

View CplSteel's profile


142 posts in 2186 days

#6 posted 08-27-2012 04:31 AM

Thanks for the help thus far, does anyone know of a video or site that explains this system well? Thus far I have found some info, but nothing that actually explains all the different pieces and how they are used.

View Woodknack's profile


11763 posts in 2402 days

#7 posted 08-27-2012 08:59 AM

You have 3 different jigs, the yellow is the K4, blue is the mini-Kreg, red is the original Kreg Jig (No longer sold. It was replaced by the R3/Junior). The original has 3 parts: the main body that you drill through, an extension for thicker wood like 2×4s, and the little piece to the right of the red box is a stop that you hook over the end of your workpiece. I have no idea what the other blue plastic parts are. On the right you have your square drive bits, stepped drill bit, and Vice Grip clamp which is used with the Mini and Original.

-- Rick M,

View junebug's profile


101 posts in 2426 days

#8 posted 08-27-2012 12:34 PM

the other 2 blue pieces not circled above look like the depth gauge for the stop collars on the drill bits.

View Sailor's profile


543 posts in 3287 days

#9 posted 08-27-2012 12:44 PM

Youtube! It has the answers you are looking for and you can see the parts and pieces in action!

-- Dothan, Alabama Check out my woodworking blog! Also my Youtube Channel's Facebook page

View CplSteel's profile


142 posts in 2186 days

#10 posted 08-28-2012 06:45 AM

wormil, thank you. I had a feeling it was a bit of a franken-kreg. To the others, I have tried youtube, but most youtube videos assume that you have seen the DVD that came with your jig, or have any clue how it works. The manual gave me some info, but it took me 30 minutes to realize that the system is made for self-taping screws (I couldn’t understand how the other piece got a pilot hole.)

View Woodknack's profile


11763 posts in 2402 days

#11 posted 08-28-2012 08:09 AM

I googled, “kreg jig instructions,” and found a bunch of PDFs that explain with pictures how the pieces fit together and how to use them. You just gotta get them hamsters running on the wheel upstairs and figure it out.

-- Rick M,

View Howie's profile


2656 posts in 2945 days

#12 posted 08-28-2012 12:00 PM

Why can’t I find something like this at garage sales…....

-- Life is good.

View ADHDan's profile


800 posts in 2130 days

#13 posted 08-29-2012 03:16 PM

This is a sweet garage sale find. As Wormil explained, the yellow is the main body of the “clamp and drill” jig – you clamp your workpiece against the plastic backer block with bushings, and drill through the bushing guides to bore an angled hole in your workpiece. The two plastic parts on either side of that are gauges for the bit stop/collar – these gauges were made part of the base unit on the newer Kreg jig, so if you end up with a manual for a newer jig don’t let that throw you off.

I was going to post a guide on how to use a Kreg jig, but it is surprisingly hard to describe in text. Literally one or two youtube videos would be worth 500 words. This may be a good start:

-- Dan in Minneapolis, woodworking since 11/11.

View CplSteel's profile


142 posts in 2186 days

#14 posted 08-30-2012 08:22 AM

Thank you for the help, I am going to try and build a new drill press table/cabinet with this thing this weekend.

View ducky911's profile


237 posts in 2811 days

#15 posted 08-31-2012 01:13 AM

i love my kreg jig…I was worried when I bought it because it was plastic…but it does not work like plastic.

showing 1 through 15 of 16 replies

Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics