Speaking of rasps...

  • Advertise with us

« back to Hand Tools forum

Forum topic by DKV posted 08-24-2012 09:38 PM 1165 views 0 times favorited 6 replies Add to Favorites Watch
View DKV's profile


3600 posts in 1443 days

08-24-2012 09:38 PM

I have this rasp that I really like, given to me by my father-in-law. I would like some more in different sizes and shapes. However, I can’t find any online. I’ve included a couple of pix. Maybe someone will recognize the rasp and help me out. The handle says Disston 404C. Here are the pix.

6 replies so far

View Bill White's profile

Bill White

3833 posts in 2899 days

#1 posted 08-24-2012 10:02 PM

Doesn’t look like any rasp I’ve seen…......


View DKV's profile


3600 posts in 1443 days

#2 posted 08-24-2012 10:30 PM

Bill, here are a couple of closeups. The rasp feels like course sandpaper but you can see there is plenty of room between the little nodules(?) for fast self clean out of material.

View Loren's profile


7967 posts in 2587 days

#3 posted 08-24-2012 10:32 PM

Looks like a product called “Dragon Skin” – a sort of very aggressive sandpaper.


View John 's profile


212 posts in 2341 days

#4 posted 08-24-2012 10:50 PM

A Rasp usually has a Very Rough Finish to it.

-- John

View PineInTheAsh's profile


404 posts in 2207 days

#5 posted 08-24-2012 11:10 PM

You might like the excellent Microplane line of tools. You can order direct. Google “microplane” and go to the woodworking section.


View DKV's profile


3600 posts in 1443 days

#6 posted 08-24-2012 11:29 PM

Here is the official name.

Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics