|Forum topic by JesseTutt||posted 08-19-2012 01:24 PM||1325 views||0 times favorited||8 replies|
08-19-2012 01:24 PM
I am ready to purchase my new bandsaw. I have been encouraged to go with the Grizzly 17” over the Powermatic 14” as I can get more saw for the same money. Currently I am leaning towards the G0513X2B model. It will be used for resawing various hardwoods. I am leaning towards the 3/4” Woodslicer brand of blades. After reviewing Grizzly’s web site and various Internet sites I still have a couple of questions.
1. How well does the quick release level on the Grizzly work? I have read that it is the Carter quick release or at least a clone of it.
2. When Grizzly quotes the height of the machine, does that height include the quick release level when it is in the up position? The bandsaw will be located underneath a shelf that is 7’ above the floor.
3. From the pictures, on Grizzly’s web site, it looks like they are using the same concept of bearings to guide the blade as Carter sells. Is this the Carter blade system or a clone of it? How well does it work?
4. I realize that feed rate would vary based upon the type of wood and its height. How fast can you feed say a 10” piece of oak through the saw?
5. Based upon a good aftermarket blade, if you wanted a 1/2” finish sanded piece how thick would you need to cut the piece with the bandsaw? I guess I need to know how smooth the cut will be.
-- Jesse, Saint Louis, Missouri