• Advertise with us

« back to Wood & Lumber forum

Forum topic by MrRon posted 08-15-2012 05:16 PM 2169 views 0 times favorited 2 replies Add to Favorites Watch
View MrRon's profile


4758 posts in 3237 days

08-15-2012 05:16 PM

I have heard some are looking for a plywood panel, called “Appleply”. It is made up of 1/16” layers of wood and manufactured by States Plywood. I did a search for dealers and found it is carried in of all places, Lowes. I checked and they do indeed carry it, but only in cut down to size pieces, usually 24×24, 24×48, 48×48. It looks as good as Baltic Birch. I have used it before, but I found that the 3/4” panels are quite a bit undersize by almost 1/16”. It is usually made from Birch, although other woods can be used on the outer plies.

2 replies so far

View EPJartisan's profile


1118 posts in 3119 days

#1 posted 08-21-2012 03:37 PM

well, that is one product I am going to investigate and test out. I really like that they don’t use formaldehyde, and the lack of inclusions is nice. Thanks for this post.

-- " 'Truth' is like a beautiful flower, unique to each plant and to the season it blossoms ... 'Fact' is the root and leaf, allowing the plant grow and bloom again."

View MrRon's profile


4758 posts in 3237 days

#2 posted 08-21-2012 04:18 PM

According to their website, it is made up of 1/16” plies and since the number of plies is an unequal number, 3/4” panels would be 11 plies + thin layers of glue or about 45/64” overall thickness. Imported 18mm Baltic Birch would be a bit thicker than Appleply.

Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics