|Forum topic by Chris||posted 07-23-2008 06:49 AM||2086 views||0 times favorited||19 replies|
07-23-2008 06:49 AM
I am trying to visualize a desk design for my own office and cannot seem to get Sketchup to do what I want…. Let me go through what I have done step by step
1. Basic Desk Top – 24”x50” at center of radius
2. Proposed shape of the edges
3. First Try – Drew the arc on each end; the arc started at the top corner with the second point 1/2” in from the lower corner. Then I completed the circuit by drawing a line across the bottom connect both 1/2” end points and erasing the result.
3a. Looks Good, eh?
4. Second Try – Using the Offset Tool I created the secondary shape offset from the original by 1/2”.
5. Second Try – Erased the edges….
6. Utter & Dismal Failure – Help!!!!! I’m Lost!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Can any of you experts out there offer any suggestion? Basically the edge treatment would be what resulted from using a larger diameter round-over bit on the edge….
I will be constructing the final design from two very large Padauk slabs I acquired the end of last year. One is 6/4×21” x 17’ (thats right feet!) and the other is 6/4×19” x 18’.
So, I tried Gizmodynes solution and ended up with the following:
3rd Try – View of the end bevel; Whats with the leftover bits????
3rd Try – View down the side
Result after cleanup…. Looking good! This view is from the bottom….
Final: Applied wood grain texture to get a feel for what the finished desktop might look like.
Thanks for all you help Gizmodyne & Greg Wurst!
-- "Everything that is great and inspiring is created by the individual who labors in freedom" -- Albert Einstein