Plane ID help please

  • Advertise with us

« back to Hand Tools forum

Forum topic by wombataholic posted 08-12-2012 11:11 PM 725 views 0 times favorited 3 replies Add to Favorites Watch
View wombataholic's profile


3 posts in 2077 days

08-12-2012 11:11 PM

Long time lurker, first time poster here. I need some help identifying the maker of a rabbet plane I got at a junk shop today:

It needs some work, and I need to track down parts for it. Any ideas what I’m missing, parts-wise? What is in the picture is pretty much what I’ve got.


3 replies so far

View lwllms's profile


555 posts in 3245 days

#1 posted 08-12-2012 11:16 PM

It’s the Sargent version of the #78.

View chrisstef's profile


17302 posts in 2969 days

#2 posted 08-12-2012 11:17 PM

Well it doesnt look like a Stanley … at least not like the #78 ive got … that little “horn” on the front is a cool little curiousity though. Youre missing quite a bunch on the plane unfortunately. The iron and cap / chip breaker, the depth adjuster and the fence. It does look like you have the nicker though .. its the little 3 sided piece of metal behind that flat head screw.

Welcome to the gang wombataholic.

-- Its not a crack, its a casting imperfection.

View ShaneA's profile


6909 posts in 2561 days

#3 posted 08-13-2012 12:38 AM

Yeah, Larry has it, could be a craftsman too. But basically it is a version of the 78. The bad news is, the parts are coveted by many, and you are missing many parts. Probably cost prohibitive to track them and buy them. Best to try to find these guys complete. Good luck, and welcone to LJs

Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics