hinge type

  • Advertise with us

« back to Designing Woodworking Projects forum

Forum topic by Mark Shultz posted 07-27-2012 02:10 AM 991 views 0 times favorited 2 replies Add to Favorites Watch
View Mark Shultz's profile

Mark Shultz

117 posts in 2593 days

07-27-2012 02:10 AM

Topic tags/keywords: question

I need some help understanding which type of hinge i need for the below design. Any thoughts would be appreciated. i’m building this credenza from ply/edge banding.

the first photo shows the front face. there is a 3/4” face frame all the way around the box, and each door/drawer has a 1/4” edging on 4 sides. hence on the outer frame there will always be 3/4” and 1/4” edging. on the interior, there will be two 1/4” edgings next to each other. this symmetry is what i’m trying to keep

in the second photo you will see the decorative edging on the top/sides also is 1/4”. to keep only 1/4 of edging showing consistently around the edge the drawers/doors need to be under/flush with the face frame – ie not showing from the top view.

In the third and forth photo you see the inside where the hinges need to be installed. I am hoping they are all hidden hinges. on the left, maybe some form of inset hinge would suffice? in between the two doors there is no hinge obviously but i point out that the partition wall will be set back by 3/4” so the doors can close completely. the tricky side is on the right. To maintain the symmetry (two 1/4” edgings next to each other) where the door and drawer meet, i need to hide the 3/4 partition edging. to do this i need to set back the partition from the front face by 3/4”. the door is technically flush with the face frame but it needs to be mounted to the partition which is set back from the face.

I really don’t know what type of hinge is required here?? i know this is wordy, but can help me out specifically defining what each of these two hinges are? overlay, inset, partial, euro or traditional? I guess they need to be separate types given the configutation

2 replies so far

View cabmaker's profile


1740 posts in 3012 days

#1 posted 07-27-2012 03:35 AM

Looks like youll need an inset hinge on one side and an overlay on the other (with 1/2 overlay) unless Im not understading the situation.

View Mark Shultz's profile

Mark Shultz

117 posts in 2593 days

#2 posted 07-30-2012 01:25 PM

Thank you Cab

Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics