doweling into face frame jig

  • Advertise with us

« back to Jigs & Fixtures forum

Forum topic by Mark Shultz posted 764 days ago 883 views 0 times favorited 2 replies Add to Favorites Watch
View Mark Shultz's profile

Mark Shultz

62 posts in 1023 days

764 days ago

Topic tags/keywords: jig

I’m wondering if anyone has a jig example for doweling into the face side of a board multiple inches from the edge? I have seen the Jessem jig (pricey) and dowelmax (pricier) and figure there is a cheaper solution. My initial idea was to take a less expensive self centering jig (e.g rockler or even HF) and unscrew the side parts such that all that remained is the black center part with the holes. I could then use a straight edge clamped across my plywood piece that needs the dowels and just place black jig piece along the straightedge with another clamp.


2 replies so far

View Lifesaver2000's profile


512 posts in 1745 days

#1 posted 764 days ago

It is possible the Wolfcraft Dowel Pro Jig will do what you want, and can at times be picked up for about $19.95 on sale on Rockler or Amazon. I have the jig but have never needed to do what you are saying, but the directions have instructions on how to do it (if I understand what you need to do).

You can read the directions at the link below (PDF file)

I think they call it a “T-butt joint”

View Rutager's profile


27 posts in 936 days

#2 posted 764 days ago

Hi Mark,

Maybe make your own jig; buy a drill bushing in the size dowel hole you need to make and build a bench hook sort of fixture with the bushing in it. McMaster Carr sells bushings, as do many other places.

Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics :: gardening showcase