Outside table

  • Advertise with us

« back to Finishing forum

Forum topic by Insagent posted 07-25-2012 03:27 AM 812 views 0 times favorited 4 replies Add to Favorites Watch
View Insagent's profile


51 posts in 2335 days

07-25-2012 03:27 AM

Ok, I have finished the 21 foot table I’ve been working on for awhile. Hera is wher I need some advise: It is a butcher block table made of 50 year old yellow pine. Is finished with marine man-o- war marine varnish with 4 coats. I would like go ahead and move it outside and install it on it base but I live in Oklahoma with the heat of 100 plus don’t know if I need to keep it out of the heat for all few days or not? I plan to put the last coat on friday and move and install Saturday. Do you think it matters either way?

4 replies so far

View NewEnglandsWoodWorks's profile


117 posts in 2625 days

#1 posted 07-25-2012 02:44 PM

I would let it cure for one day. It would probably be ok as long as its not in direct sunlight but why chance it on something you have worked alot on.

-- Brett

View tyskkvinna's profile


1310 posts in 3010 days

#2 posted 07-25-2012 02:50 PM

I would imagine that any bit of curing left to be done by the time you get it outside will be done pretty fast. I would just move it.

-- Lis - Michigan - -

View Doss's profile


779 posts in 2288 days

#3 posted 07-25-2012 03:21 PM

Pics or it doesn’t exist! :-) j/k … but yeah, pics please.

I’d move it late day Saturday if I were you. That gives it a few extra hours to cure at night without getting immediately hit with direct sunlight. Do you have any sort of UV blockers?

I am about to build a 14’ long slab table for a client. It is a heavy beast so I’m imagining even though your’s is pine, it’s probably heavy as well.

Keep us updated on how it holds up to the temperature changes. I’ve been thinking of using marine varnish on outdoor projects for a while now.

-- "Well, at least we can still use it as firewood... maybe." - Doss

View gfadvm's profile


14940 posts in 2714 days

#4 posted 07-26-2012 02:09 AM

I would let the finish cure as completely as possible. I had a finish develop grape sized bubbles when I put in the Oklahoma sun 24 hours after the last coat. While sanding it back to bare wood, I had a lot of time to reflect on the virtues of patience!

-- " I'll try to be nicer, if you'll try to be smarter" gfadvm

Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics