Looking for a specialty hinge, hope someone here can help me find a source

  • Advertise with us

« back to Power Tools, Hardware and Accessories forum

Forum topic by PCTNWV posted 775 days ago 2185 views 0 times favorited 7 replies Add to Favorites Watch
View PCTNWV's profile


99 posts in 1437 days

775 days ago

I am looking for a hinge similar to the ones in the pictures. They are used on sewing machine cabinets and Old Radio Cabinets. They are a unique pivot hinge. I am trying to find a place or person that caries these hinges. Any and All help is greatly appreciated.

-- Troy, Virginia

7 replies so far

View waho6o9's profile


4837 posts in 1210 days

#1 posted 775 days ago

Maybe email leevalley and they might help you out.

View horologist's profile


95 posts in 2372 days

#2 posted 775 days ago

Sorry, I don’t have a source and am assuming you have already tried the sewing and old radio lists.
Do you need one or two as replacements or a bunch for some sort of production run?
Obviously purchasing them is likely the most economical alternative.
But if you only need one or two they don’t look like they would be that difficult to make.
Cut the blank out of steel stock, fine tune outline with a file, drill holes, make bend, and rivet (?).
All of this could probably be done with the tools in your shop.
Just a thought…

-- Troy in Melrose, Florida

View Lee Barker's profile

Lee Barker

2163 posts in 1483 days

#3 posted 775 days ago

Van Dyke's




-- " his brain, which is as dry as the remainder biscuit after a voyage, he hath strange places cramm'd with observation, the which he vents in mangled forms." --Shakespeare, "As You Like It"

View poopiekat's profile


3596 posts in 2367 days

#4 posted 775 days ago

Try Van Dyke’s Restorer’s supplies:

-- Einstein: "The intuitive mind is a sacred gift, and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift." I'm Poopiekat!!

View Sawkerf's profile


1730 posts in 1701 days

#5 posted 775 days ago

I think that those are called knife hinges. Try searching for those.

-- Adversity doesn't build reveals it.

View Terry Ferguson's profile

Terry Ferguson

202 posts in 1300 days

#6 posted 775 days ago

They are called pivot hinges
available at

-- Terry Ferguson, Bend Oregon

View PCTNWV's profile


99 posts in 1437 days

#7 posted 774 days ago


Thanks, I appreciate the responses and I will take a look. The search continues.

-- Troy, Virginia

Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics :: gardening showcase