Need 1 1/4" diam x 51 hard wood dowel

  • Advertise with us

« back to Woodworking Trade & Swap forum

Forum topic by EricTy posted 07-13-2012 12:11 PM 1157 views 0 times favorited 8 replies Add to Favorites Watch
View EricTy's profile


62 posts in 2247 days

07-13-2012 12:11 PM

Topic tags/keywords: dowel

Hey All,

I’m in need of a 1 1/4” diam x 51” long hardwood dowel. I redid a closet and used a piece of, don’t laugh too much, pine. Now it’s laughing at me (or at least smiling) under the weight of clothes.

I’m just outside of Phila on the NJ side. Can somebody let me know if they can whip something up?


-- Only you know the mistakes were intentional...

8 replies so far

View mondak's profile


71 posts in 2397 days

#1 posted 07-13-2012 12:19 PM

Make a hanger bracket, with a cleat fastened to the back wall and center it on your pine rod. That will take the smile out and you should be good to go.

View EricTy's profile


62 posts in 2247 days

#2 posted 07-13-2012 01:01 PM

I was trying to avoid a center bracket, but I think I’ll do something. Thanks!

-- Only you know the mistakes were intentional...

View Bertha's profile


13528 posts in 2690 days

#3 posted 07-13-2012 01:04 PM

Aside from metal or some incredibly expensive hard exotic, I’m not sure you’ll ever be happy with a wooden dowel across that expanse. I’d second the vote for the center bracket. I know, I know; I hate those things, too. But you can’t go with a diameter bigger than the inside of a coathanger, right? Good luck!

-- My dad and I built a 65 chev pick up.I killed trannys in that thing for some reason-Hog

View Brandon's profile


4152 posts in 2948 days

#4 posted 07-13-2012 01:09 PM

That is a bit long for a dowel—you can always go with a steel rod if you don’t like the idea of a center bracket. It’d be more expensive of course.

-- "hold fast to that which is good"

View Sawkerf's profile


1730 posts in 3065 days

#5 posted 07-13-2012 01:29 PM

You should be able to buy a shelf support with a “hook” for a clothes rod. I just demo’d a closet and tossed one in the dumpster. Try any big box or hardware store.

-- Adversity doesn't build reveals it.

View crank49's profile


4030 posts in 2968 days

#6 posted 07-13-2012 02:36 PM

Use a piece of 1” EMT (electrical metalic tubing) also known as thinwall conduit.
This is the correct diameter, is thinwall tubing so not too heavy, and comes in 10ft lengths.
Plus, it is electro galvanized so it won’t rust.
Can be cut to length easily with a hack saw or tubing cutter.
Or, the store might cut it for you.

View MNgary's profile


298 posts in 2414 days

#7 posted 07-16-2012 04:31 AM

Maybe paint a section of galvanized pipe?

-- I dream of a world where a duck can cross the road and no one asks why.

View Jim Finn's profile

Jim Finn

2656 posts in 2919 days

#8 posted 07-16-2012 09:58 PM

I bought painted metal closet rods at Lowes .

-- Website is No PHD just a DD214 and a GED

Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics