Photographing Curly Grain

  • Advertise with us

« back to Finishing forum

Forum topic by pastorglen posted 07-02-2012 04:06 AM 1043 views 0 times favorited 2 replies Add to Favorites Watch
View pastorglen's profile


267 posts in 2659 days

07-02-2012 04:06 AM

Topic tags/keywords: pictures curly grain question tip trick

I’m looking for pointers on capturing nice curly grain with a photograph. This pen that I made has grain that is AMAZING. But it’s lost in a still shot.

Any suggestions?

-- Glen, Pennsylvania, Colossians 3:23 "Whatever you do, work heartily, as for the Lord and not for men."

2 replies so far

View Jorge G.'s profile

Jorge G.

1537 posts in 2444 days

#1 posted 07-02-2012 04:19 AM

You need a polarizing filter. The problem with your pen pictures is that scattered light reflection is muting the curly features of the wood. With a polarizing filter you “align” the light rays so that only those which are in straight line with the lens’ axis strike the sensitive surface (digital or film, whatever you use).

While a polarizing filter does not work with specular reflections (e.i. light reflected from a chrome surface) it does wonder to give depth to pictures like yours. If you have a single lens reflex camera you can screw the filter, if you have one of those cheap hand held, you can put the filter in front of the lens when you take the pic, you will need to learn how to adjust for loss of light in your camera.

It is sad that film demise has also given way to the demise of knowledge in photography (not a comment directed at you).

-- To surrender a dream leaves life as it is — and not as it could be.

View Infernal2's profile


107 posts in 2166 days

#2 posted 07-02-2012 05:05 AM

JGM makes a great point regarding a polarizing filter. While I’m unsure of what model camera you are using, there are a easy ways to accomplish polarization without spending big bucks for a quality filter, especially if you aren’t going to use it often. You know those cheap, throw away 3D glasses that you get at the movies these days? Instead of recycling them when you finish the movie, you can cut away the lens and apply it to a lens cap for your camera. There are also polarizing films that are sold for computer monitors that will do the same thing.

Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics