|Forum topic by Leviticus||posted 06-30-2012 08:43 PM||1069 views||0 times favorited||12 replies|
06-30-2012 08:43 PM
Hate that this is going to by my first post here, but:
My sister brought me an old card catalog that she rescued from a barn in South Carolina. The drawers were in decent shape, but the carcass was a loss (except for some internal dividing members that I re-used.) She said: Do with it what you will, but I could really use some night stands.
I did some math, and a lot of rough sketches and decided how to distribute the drawers, etc. I was REALLY proud of this project – one of my first ‘furniture’ builds. So much so that I decided that I’d make hardwood tabletops for it. I ran over to the hardwood yard and got some 4/4 hard maple. It comes S2S, so I jointed it on my table saw using this style jig. It did a fairly decent job for the stock blade and a 5-minute jig build.
Well, I finally finished the tables and took them to my sister at a family gathering, where they sat in a hot car for several hours – the affects of this didn’t occur to me until my sister sent me some pictures when she got home:
(Sorry for the quality, they’re cell phone pics – I’ll update once she brings the tables back.)
Obviously, they are cupped quite badly, and one even started to split at the joint.
I’m not sure if they’ve improved after sitting in her home for a week now, but I doubt it.
The tops are screwed on through the top of the main case, in 4 points: 2 in the back, 2 in the front, on either side of the center divider.
I’m curious how much the heat/humidity did this, how I might be able to repair it (I’m prepared to just re-create the surfaces all together at this point), and what I might do differently in the future.
Thanks for any input!