|Forum topic by justinwdemoss||posted 528 days ago||2174 views||0 times favorited||20 replies|
528 days ago
Scored a C. Christensen workbench from c-list earlier this week. It was in terrible shape, but I saw what they were going for on ebay (one sold last week for about $500). Now that one was in way better shape and larger, but I took a chance. The thing bad been sitting in a shed for almost two decades without use. Motor oil and grease had coated most of the top. The floor of the shed was so bad that when we picked it up, part of the floor came with it. I paid $70 for it. I brought it home, and in addition to the drill press mounted tot he top, it had all kinds of treasures in the drawers. One notable was about two dozen molding cutters in new condition. They will go on c-list soon and with the drill press will likely cover the cost of the bench.
I de-greased the whole thing. Sanded, and saw that the oil had really penetrated. The two vises were in good working order minus the handle for the front. I decided to seal the entire bench and base with shellac. You can see the end result. The thing is solid maple some of it tiger and bird’s eye!
Now its time to get rid of the monster table/bench that I built and have been using for years and free up some room for this restored and working gem.
-- Justin in Loveland, OH