removing mold from furniture

  • Advertise with us

« back to Finishing forum

Forum topic by 64cuda posted 06-26-2012 02:53 AM 3024 views 0 times favorited 8 replies Add to Favorites Watch
View 64cuda's profile


3 posts in 2339 days

06-26-2012 02:53 AM

Hi everyone just had a water leak and i have some mold on my dining room table and chairs legs, i tried to remove some off the chair legs wanted to know if i could save the furniture it in like new shape will the mold come back after time thanksw for any help John

8 replies so far

View crank49's profile


4032 posts in 3147 days

#1 posted 06-26-2012 03:15 AM

I think you can kill mold with a bleach solution, but it’s my understanding it will come back if it is on a porous surface like wood, paper or fabric.

There used to be some good products based on boron and copper salts that would get rid of mold but I think the EPA killed those off. About the same story with Tri sodium phosphate products. You can still find TSP sometimes.

I have heard there are heat treatments that will remove mold from any material, but it’s expensive.

I have made a paste of Borax detergent and scrubbed mold off some 3/4” plywood that was stored in my garage and it has remained mold free for about 6 months, but just now getting into the humid summer months where I would normally have a problem. Jury is still out on this.

View Ted's profile


2873 posts in 2387 days

#2 posted 06-26-2012 03:19 AM

Mold need moisture, so it shouldn’t come back unless the wood gets wet again. I don’t think air moisture is enough for it.

-- You can collect dust or you can make dust. I choose to make it.

View Don W's profile

Don W

18990 posts in 2743 days

#3 posted 06-26-2012 11:17 AM

Clorox and then drying should do it.

-- - Collecting is an investment in the past, and the future.

View Gerald Thompson's profile

Gerald Thompson

1107 posts in 2410 days

#4 posted 06-26-2012 12:42 PM

My wife knows how to get rid of mold. She told me to get out of my chair.

-- Jerry

View tyskkvinna's profile


1310 posts in 3162 days

#5 posted 06-26-2012 01:01 PM

Bleach will only kill the surface of the spores. I would use vinegar. As a bonus, it doesn’t smell as much. :)

Soak your furniture with some vinegar so it can penetrate and then let it cook a little. Dry.

Assuming you don’t get any more leaks, the mold should stay away. Put extra care into keeping the humidity level in that room down, but you’d want to do that anyway.

-- Lis - Michigan - -

View 64cuda's profile


3 posts in 2339 days

#6 posted 06-26-2012 07:36 PM

Sounds like good advice would putting the table legs in a container of vinegar be good and how long do you think i should let it stay in there for? will it have to be re stained? thanks for all the help John

View poopiekat's profile


4384 posts in 3910 days

#7 posted 06-26-2012 10:34 PM

Believe it or not, dry ice is rapidly becoming the way to go when dealing with mold issues.
There are contractors who specialize in it for mold abatement.

-- Einstein: "The intuitive mind is a sacred gift, and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift." I'm Poopiekat!!

View CourtneyD's profile


2 posts in 2082 days

#8 posted 03-08-2013 10:34 AM

You must keep in mind that it is essential that you fix the mold in your home as easily as possible when you find it. Get somebody to come out and assess the issue. It could just be a small patch of mold, but it might be growing in your wall and under the carpet too. Having someone check it out will cost a payday loan, but you will get reassurance knowing there aren’t any difficulties. Get the mold situation looked at.

Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics