LumberJocks

Mallet for mortising chisel?

  • Advertise with us

« back to Hand Tools forum

Forum topic by Brett posted 757 days ago 1845 views 0 times favorited 4 replies Add to Favorites Watch
View Brett's profile

Brett

620 posts in 1278 days


757 days ago

What type of mallet is best for use with a mortising chisel? Is a standard wooden carpenter’s or carver’s mallet sufficient, or is a heavier mallet required?

-- More tools, fewer machines.


4 replies so far

View KenBry's profile

KenBry

449 posts in 1042 days


#1 posted 757 days ago

View bandit571's profile

bandit571

6628 posts in 1278 days


#2 posted 757 days ago

Seems I have a 32oz Ball Pean hammer handy when I chop mortises out. Kind of a short handle on it, a more compact swing, i guess. For those items where i can make a nice long swing, I have a long handled 20oz BP. Mortises or cold chisel work, all the same hammer to me.

-- A Planer? I'M the planer, this is what I use

View Lee Barker's profile

Lee Barker

2163 posts in 1445 days


#3 posted 757 days ago

Dead-blow hammer adherents will tell you you’ll be in the game longer if you use their weapon of choice. All of the energy goes through the hammer.

The whole story, well, 90% of it, is to move the chisel into the wood. The other 10% would be a handle that feels good.

Kindly,

Lee

-- "...in his brain, which is as dry as the remainder biscuit after a voyage, he hath strange places cramm'd with observation, the which he vents in mangled forms." --Shakespeare, "As You Like It"

View Oldelm's profile

Oldelm

75 posts in 770 days


#4 posted 755 days ago

I never gave the size of the mallet I use much thought. I have used a round carpenters mallet for 25 years or so for everything. I did weigh it after seeing your post, it weighs in a 1lb 2oz. I use it for everything on the bench from barely tapping a small gouge to a hard hit on a mortise chisel. The largest mortises I cut are 1/2” and lately have been in red oak. It seems to me that if I take really heavy blows on my mortise chisels in the oak it tends to dull the chisel faster and not drive it much farther than what I feel is just a medium hit. That is with a 30 degree grind and a very slight secondary bevel. The dulling could be a function of the chisel itself, my chisels are older and not the best. The mallet has become an extension of me over the years so I guess I have that muscle training that it talked about today. I would like to see more comments on this subject. Is it mallet weight, power of the strike, chisel weight? Good subject.

-- Jim, Missouri

Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase