Not sure this is the right place to ask - but it's about Power??

  • Advertise with us

« back to Power Tools, Hardware and Accessories forum

Forum topic by Aristocraft posted 06-21-2012 07:04 PM 1204 views 0 times favorited 5 replies Add to Favorites Watch
View Aristocraft's profile


87 posts in 2604 days

06-21-2012 07:04 PM

Ok, Guys please forgive me if I didn’t post this question in the right spot. So here is my question:
I will be moving to the Minnesota area, Andover MN, to be exact. The place we purchased has two shops on the property. The question is, does anyone know of someone, a electrican, in that area? The shop has power, I think 50 amps, and I need to up it to 100 or more. I have no idea how to do this thus needing to find someone. LJ has always been my go to place for finding out things I don’t know…. Any help anyone out there has would be much appreaciated. We should be in the house by July 20….
Thanks everyone

-- --- Never a failure - Always a lesson

5 replies so far

View GrandpaLen's profile


1650 posts in 2296 days

#1 posted 06-21-2012 08:10 PM


Can’t help with your request as I live in Indiana but i would like to congratulate you on buying a property with 2 shops. If you out grow your 1st shop you have a Annex to back you up or maybe a dedicated Finishing shop.

Maybe your ‘Forum’ Subject title should have been, “Shops Gloat”.

The “Tool Gloats” and “Lumber Gloats” always seem to get alot of responces. lol

Best Wishes in your new ‘Shops’

Work Safely and have Fun – Grandpa Len

-- Mother Nature should be proud of what you've done with her tree. - Len ...just north of a stone's throw from the oHIo, river that is, in So. Indiana.

View ohtimberwolf's profile


813 posts in 2375 days

#2 posted 06-22-2012 12:43 AM

No where near there to be of any help but if you have 50 amps now and want 100 there is a good chance you will have to replace the entrance cable with a larger one and the main breaker in the shed. You might luck out and have a heavier cable already there.

I don’t want to advise you on what to do in case you electrocute yourself but doing a search on the net will tell you what wire size you need or ask any wire seller. You will need to know the distance of the run so check it out before you ask someone. You might want to go to more than 100 amps. Seems like you never have too much power. Do it once and do it well.

-- Just a barn cat, now gone to cat heaven.

View Aristocraft's profile


87 posts in 2604 days

#3 posted 06-27-2012 08:37 PM

Thanks for the input…. Yea, 2 shops would be great but I’m not looking forward to cold weather…... need to fiigure out the electric or gas to heat….
Thanks guys

-- --- Never a failure - Always a lesson

View BentheViking's profile


1782 posts in 2587 days

#4 posted 06-27-2012 11:48 PM

i think you can get a free 60 day trial on angies list now…give that a shot…or wait until you get there and then see what you can find for local references

-- It's made of wood. Real sturdy.--Chubbs Peterson

View Sawkerf's profile


1730 posts in 3092 days

#5 posted 06-28-2012 12:19 AM

If your working with a realtor, ask him/her for some contacts. Most realtors have people they use to take care of inspection issues during a sale.

-- Adversity doesn't build reveals it.

Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics