Where are you Right angle Block plane?

  • Advertise with us

« back to Hand Tools forum

Forum topic by gawthrrw posted 06-16-2012 04:58 PM 4210 views 0 times favorited 16 replies Add to Favorites Watch
View gawthrrw's profile


207 posts in 2474 days

06-16-2012 04:58 PM

Topic tags/keywords: question

Ok, I feel like i’ve got pretty good over the years finding information on the internet. For the life of me though I cant find anything on a right angle block plane. I watched a video a while back( cant remember which one now) and they were using one to shoot boards after they came out of the tablesaw to clean up the saw marks.

I guess the question is, Where can i get one of these?? I have looked on ebay, craigslist, everywhere! Are these planes rare or something? I dont have to have new. Just something i can clean up and use.

oh, and also the one i saw had a skewed blade.

-- Rob, Dallas TX

16 replies so far

View Richforever's profile


757 posts in 3747 days

#1 posted 06-16-2012 05:35 PM

Lie-Nielsen and Lee Valley have planes like that.

-- Rich, Seattle, WA

View jmos's profile


839 posts in 2397 days

#2 posted 06-16-2012 05:37 PM

Are you just referring to a plane where the sides are at 90deg so you can use it on a shooting board?

If so, lot’s of planes will work. I like to use my LN low angle jack plane for shooting. Just look in the descriptions to see if the manufacturer calls out their sides as square (I know LV and LN do, as well as the Woodriver planes from Woodcraft, and I’m sure most other do as well.

There are also dedicated shooting board planes, LN makes one, but they are pricey. Very nice, but pricey.

-- John

View gawthrrw's profile


207 posts in 2474 days

#3 posted 06-16-2012 05:50 PM

The plane i saw almost looks like a piece of angle iron with a skewed blade on one side. you can reference it off the face of your board then square the sides up to 90. The man in the video called it his right angle block plane. I didnt know if this was something he made, or if it could be purchased somewhere. I had no luck looking it up on the internet.

Wish i could remember where i seen the video. Sorry.

-- Rob, Dallas TX

View gawthrrw's profile


207 posts in 2474 days

#4 posted 06-16-2012 05:51 PM

And thanks Rich. I’ll check out their site.

-- Rob, Dallas TX

View dhazelton's profile


2771 posts in 2324 days

#5 posted 06-16-2012 05:51 PM

I’m not any expert, but I thought you meant low angle block plane too. I picked up a Stanley at a yard sale this morning for two dollars. The inexpensive Stanleys can be tuned to make a beautifully smooth edge with not much work at all. Don’t overlook it for something that costs five times as much.

View gawthrrw's profile


207 posts in 2474 days

#6 posted 06-16-2012 05:59 PM

Thank you richforever. I found one similer at lee valley. Sorry everyone for the confusion, this is what i was talking about. I guess i didnt have the name right. Its a right angle trimming plane lol.,41182,56084&ap=1

-- Rob, Dallas TX

View Loren's profile


10476 posts in 3675 days

#7 posted 06-16-2012 06:46 PM

These are based on the old Stanley no. 95. You can
find users or collectible ones on ebay.

I had a bronze copy for awhile. I didn’t find it very useful.

You can get a “fence” for a jack plane than helps make
a 90 degree angle, or any other. I have one of these
by Millers Falls and use it once in awhile. Lee valley
sells a magnetic plane fence that just does 90.

View SCOTSMAN's profile


5849 posts in 3612 days

#8 posted 06-16-2012 06:50 PM

Isn’t that a scraper plane? Alistair

-- excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

View SCOTSMAN's profile


5849 posts in 3612 days

#9 posted 06-16-2012 06:50 PM

I guess not? Alistair

-- excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

View BigYin's profile


418 posts in 2443 days

#10 posted 06-16-2012 07:05 PM

I think what you want is on English ebay … its just a little pricy for me.

-- ... Never Apologise For Being Right ...

View gawthrrw's profile


207 posts in 2474 days

#11 posted 06-17-2012 04:23 AM

Yes BigYin, just looking for the blade on the inside of the 90, not the outside. Oh, and Loren, the bronze one was what the guy was using in the video. Thats probably the same type plane. Thanks everyone!

-- Rob, Dallas TX

View sikrap's profile


1121 posts in 3386 days

#12 posted 06-17-2012 08:40 PM

I agree with Loren in that it sounds like a Stanley 95. They are used for edge jointing a board and are VERY handy.

-- Dave, Colonie, NY

View poopiekat's profile


4356 posts in 3762 days

#13 posted 06-17-2012 09:01 PM

Would you consider making one? I did!

-- Einstein: "The intuitive mind is a sacred gift, and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift." I'm Poopiekat!!

View Brett's profile


660 posts in 2710 days

#14 posted 06-21-2012 04:55 PM

It’s important to remember that you can use a plane as a shooting plane even if the sides are not 90 degrees to the sole. If the side is flat, you can adjust the blade with the lateral adjustment lever until its cutting edge is 90 degrees to the side. That’s what matters.

-- More tools, fewer machines.

View willie's profile


534 posts in 2482 days

#15 posted 06-21-2012 05:04 PM

I found this one several weeks ago at a garage sale. Handy tool!

-- Every day above ground is a good day!!!

showing 1 through 15 of 16 replies

Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics