adirondack wineglass holder

  • Advertise with us

« back to Woodworking Skill Share forum

Forum topic by coolplay posted 06-08-2012 12:16 PM 2611 views 4 times favorited 8 replies Add to Favorites Watch
View coolplay's profile


6 posts in 2207 days

06-08-2012 12:16 PM

Topic tags/keywords: adirondack wineglass holder question

Noob woodworker here,
hope someone can help me out
I’ve build some adirondacks but would like to copy those attachable wineglass & cupholders.
(I don’t like to cut a hole in the armrest)
The problem is, i have no idea what kind of screw they use that allows the cupholder to swivel without loosening and falling of.
Can anyone tell me if this a special type of bolt and if so, what the name is?


8 replies so far

View SnowyRiver's profile


51457 posts in 3507 days

#1 posted 06-08-2012 12:41 PM

Hi.. glad to see you are finding your way around the site. I hope you are having fun.

What I would do is to use a carriage bolt. Run the bolt up through the bottom of the arm rest usiing a recess for the nut as shown in your picture. Use a washer and a locking nut (one with the nylon insert.) This way you can adjust the nut to the desired tightness so the holder swings easlily but isnt real loose. You could use a washer between the arm rest and holder also to allow it to move easily.

-- Wayne - Plymouth MN

View Charlie's profile


1100 posts in 2313 days

#2 posted 06-08-2012 04:44 PM

Or just use a shoulder bolt. This is kinda what they’re made for.

View coolplay's profile


6 posts in 2207 days

#3 posted 06-08-2012 05:55 PM

Thanks guys,
I’m gonna add another picture to show the attachment to the chair cause now i realize it’s confusing to see what’s what. The cupholder itself is a swiveling two-piece. That way the holder can be screwed onto the chair from below and no screws or bolts are visible in the top of the armrest.
Would you still advise to go with a lock nut in this situation?
What is a recess nut? Long nut like a small pipe with the tread inside?

View SCOTSMAN's profile


5849 posts in 3612 days

#4 posted 06-08-2012 05:57 PM

Great for lemonade too if your a non drinker like me. Alistair

-- excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

View darinS's profile


709 posts in 2894 days

#5 posted 06-08-2012 06:07 PM


If I understand Wayne correctly, the recess nut is the nut you see in the top of your holder in the picture you posted. There is a recess (depression) drilled into the crossbar that attaches to the chair. Inside of this recess is a nut that fits the carriage bolt. This way the nut is not sticking above the surface and getting caught on things or having things caught on it.

If I’m wrong Wayne, feel free to correct me.

Hope that helps out a little.

-- They say many people die because of alcohol. They never realized how many of them are born because of it.

View coolplay's profile


6 posts in 2207 days

#6 posted 06-08-2012 06:29 PM

aha, like coutersink it.
I’m a little shoptalk and english language challenged….
I’m gonna look into that shoulderbolt too , since charlie says it’s made for it.
For non drinkers there is another version. but it will fit a beer too :)

View coolplay's profile


6 posts in 2207 days

#7 posted 06-20-2013 02:37 AM

I never posted what i came up with in the end.
So a year later, after various versions , this is the final result.
A multi funcional drinkholder.
I used a socket screw in the armrest ,so they can swivel, and i plugged the hole.

View SnowyRiver's profile


51457 posts in 3507 days

#8 posted 06-20-2013 02:40 AM

Great job. Looks very nice.

-- Wayne - Plymouth MN

Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics