Stanley Sure form planes

  • Advertise with us

« back to Hand Tools forum

Forum topic by Willardz posted 06-01-2012 03:13 AM 2515 views 0 times favorited 8 replies Add to Favorites Watch
View Willardz's profile


59 posts in 2455 days

06-01-2012 03:13 AM

Topic tags/keywords: stanley stanley sure form hand plane

Has anybody tried these? Are they any good?

-- I have Carrie, food, shelter, and wood to turn. What else do I need?

8 replies so far

View cabmaker's profile


1740 posts in 2953 days

#1 posted 06-01-2012 03:21 AM

Very good when needed. Mine is probabley 30 yrs old and still performs well when I need to ease edges and such quickly. It is for coarse work however and followed up with a rasp or the like. I never saw anyone ask about this, I thought I might be the only one that ever used one.

View woodworker59's profile


560 posts in 2346 days

#2 posted 06-01-2012 03:30 AM

I just picked up the Millers Falls version of same, I have a similar one but not a stanley.. I agree with cabmaker they work great at what they do, never seem to need sharpening as near as I can tell but they are rough.. you will definitely need to follow up with a rasp or a bastard file to smooth it out.. they cut pretty quick so be careful the first time you try one.. have fun…

-- Papa...

View waho6o9's profile


8421 posts in 2721 days

#3 posted 06-01-2012 03:53 AM

I used one of these on some Zebra wood and was amazed on the results. It seemed like all I needed was
a card scraper and it was ready for finish.

Yes, I think they are good and wouldn’t get rid of mine.

View crank49's profile


4032 posts in 3115 days

#4 posted 06-01-2012 04:25 AM

Absolutely the best tool on earth for shaping bondo.
Also works for shaping styrofoam.
I’ve even seen them used for pumpkin carving.
And, of course, they work on wood as well.
I’ve had one since I was in high school; I’m 62 now.

Stanley just never made more than 3 or 4 versions though.
The correct name is Surform, by the way.

I think there are some other brands out there now that use similar technology.
Like “Micro Chisel Rasps” are about the same principle of operation but are shaped like a rasp or file.

View jeffl's profile


288 posts in 3455 days

#5 posted 06-01-2012 11:36 AM

I saw Sam Maloof live one time. He used those to sculpt his chairs, said he heard they were going to stop manufacturing them so he bought up a bunch but he was still using the first one. That was the year before he passed away.

-- Jeff,

View Willardz's profile


59 posts in 2455 days

#6 posted 06-01-2012 12:02 PM

Thanks for the info! Should I look for older ones on Ebay, or are the ones at Home Depot just as good? I saw some when I was there the other day.

-- I have Carrie, food, shelter, and wood to turn. What else do I need?

View racerglen's profile


3112 posts in 2925 days

#7 posted 06-01-2012 12:18 PM

I have several versions, a couple of the block plane type pictured above, the full jack plane size with adjustable rear handle, round file, flat file, a sort of spokeshave type one hander..
At one point you could get a metal sandpaper “blade” for them as well.
They’re great for agressive removal of stock wether you’re shaping curves or chamfering.
They seem to show up in 2nd hand stores a lot. My jack is actualy an older wooden handled one, dumped the plastic handled one when I found it

-- Glen, B.C. Canada

View Willardz's profile


59 posts in 2455 days

#8 posted 06-07-2012 01:20 AM

I got the one pictured above by waho6o9. Worked great! helped me form the bottom of a leg I was making.

-- I have Carrie, food, shelter, and wood to turn. What else do I need?

Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics