|Forum topic by JoeinDE||posted 431 days ago||1297 views||1 time favorited||12 replies|
431 days ago
I picked up an fairly old Stanley Bailey #7 from an online auction – $32 for the plane, $15 for shipping. From the pictures I was expecting it to be worse than it actually was. Before it showed up I went to Horrible Freight and picked up some evaporust, $20 for a gallon (I’d never used the stuff before and now I am a believer. Here’s what it looked like when it arrived (these are the pics from the seller):
It came mostly disassembled, so after taking the remaining parts off, I soaked all the metal parts in the evaporust overnight. Evaporust worked really well. It took care of all of the surface rust and even removed the deeper rust on the frog, chip breaker and iron. I did have to hit the chip breaker and the iron with WD40 to get the screw to loosen. After rinsing off the evaporust solution, drying and giving a light coat of mineral oil, I flattened the sole on my granite block with PSA sandpaper. I also flattened the frog and tuned the chip breaker. 90% of the japanning remained so I didn’t worry about repainting the body. I gave my best shot at the iron, but despite a whole lot of TLC, the pitting on the back was too bad for it ever to cut smooth surfaces.
I’ve got it cleaned up and taking beautiful shavings. I plan on using this plane a good bit so I wasn’t too concerned about getting the petina off of the lever cap (ooh shiny!). Some people believe that the petina shows that the plane is indeed ~100 years old. I found a site with a step-by-step how-to for determining what type and hold your Stanley hand plane it. From that site I was able to identify this plane as a type 11 – from the four patents on the body and the full name on the old iron (see below).
-- A bad craftsmen blames his cheap #$%ing tools