bowl turners, please advise...

  • Advertise with us

« back to Power Tools, Hardware and Accessories forum

Forum topic by gridlockd posted 869 days ago 707 views 0 times favorited 3 replies Add to Favorites Watch
View gridlockd's profile


118 posts in 1008 days

869 days ago

ok, I have seen several vids on u tube where this guy or that guy is turning a bowl. it comes to the finishing and I see them grab an air powered sander with what looks like about a 3” sanding disc on a conical foam backer pad. I go “ooohhh, i want one of those!” I checked the big box stores hoping to pick one up…no luck, all they have are the 6” jobs and that is too big for what i want. so where do you guys get these sanders/discs/backer pads, etc? and could i use a die grinder instead? or would that be too unwieldy?

Thanks in advance to all responses!

-- Gridlockd

3 replies so far

View darryl's profile


1792 posts in 2950 days

#1 posted 869 days ago

View hairy's profile


2005 posts in 2156 days

#2 posted 869 days ago

-- the last of Barret's Privateers...

View JamesVavra's profile


286 posts in 1940 days

#3 posted 868 days ago

I use an electric, right-angle drill from harbor freight

I use the “2 blue discs and these sanding pad/holders

Air-powered sanders will last longer; I just replace my HF sander every 2 years (the bearings wear out after a while).

Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics :: gardening showcase