|Forum topic by mark4345||posted 03-20-2012 01:12 AM||2152 views||0 times favorited||17 replies|
03-20-2012 01:12 AM
In my search for a tablesaw upgrade and months of reading reviews on this site, as well as others and weighing the options between a European sliding saw and the standard cabinet saw i was pretty well set on a slider. I all being very expensive i decided on the Hammer k3 winner a more economical option at $5400 to my door (if that can really be considered economical). I decided to sit on it a bit and think it over all the while searching the usually places for anything that may pop up.
So i see a listing for this Martin sliding saw from the late 1970s he was asking $1500. I had to go and check it out. I get there and see it is in rough shape…i couldnt start it because it was no longer hooked up to power…but he assured me it ran, i could not set a bevel past about 20 degrees because the motor bottomed out on the about foot and a half of sawdust in the bottom of the machine, the crosscut fence for the table extension was cracked bent and broken, and it took a great effort to move the slider because of all the dust caked all over and in the bearings.
I ask the guy what he has to get for it. His response is well one of the guys in the shop can scrap it for $500, so i have to get $600 can you do that? I already knew these go for much more than $600 in good working order, so what the heck for $600 even if this turns out to be complete garbage i can get my money back in scrap and in the motor which is a new 3 phase 7.5 hp which was replaced not that long ago.
So i rent a box truck with a liftgate, bring my strongest friend along and we load this 2000 lb beast into the truck and away we go. I get it home and takes 2 hours to get it out of the truck into the garage positioned where it currently sits (probably to never move again, this is HEAVY!)
Then let the work begin, more research on the site here about 3 phase motors and how to make them work on single phase power. I concluded my best option was to go with a phase converter, knowing the motor will only run at 75% capacity at 7.5 hp i didnt think that was a problem. While waiting on the converter and magnetic switch to make it run i began the cleaning greasing and lubing….then more cleaning and just when i thought i had all the sawdust out….more cleaning. The dust in the main body of the saw had been sitting in there so long the layers on bottom were starting to decay and turn into dirt. Got that all shoveled out, the motor removed, the slider all taken apart, bearing out…regreased and all put back together.
Switch and converter came in…got that hooked up and the saw worked. It cut like crap but it worked. Next came one of a couple trips to rockler for parts to remake the crosscut fence, miter slot, and get the various bits and pieces i felt i needed. a trip to the non-orange one for a sheet of melamine for the fences and extension tables and i was about in business.
After about 3 weeks of fooling with this it cuts perfectly! Exactly square..everything is parallel and perpendicular to the blade where it should be. Then the final step was adding a new forrest woodworker 2 blade. I bought one for general cutting and a plywood/thin veneer blade.
All told i spent right about $1500 including the truck rental to get it to my house. Great deal for a now excellent 8 foot european sliding tablesaw. I couldn’t be happier with it….well maybe with a new coat of paint but thats a whole new project.