What Are These?

  • Advertise with us

« back to Jigs & Fixtures forum

Forum topic by ajosephg posted 880 days ago 1503 views 0 times favorited 30 replies Add to Favorites Watch
View ajosephg's profile


1840 posts in 2165 days

880 days ago

Topic tags/keywords: brass jig setup tool center finder

While cleaning out my late father’s “stuff” I found these with his tools. He was a farmer in his working life, and I never saw them used for anything on the farm. I think he got them from his father who had some wood working tools, and also worked as a tailor.

Do any of you have any idea?

They are made from brass, and appear to be machined, but I’m not certain. It’s possible they were stamped.

Thickness is 0.080 and the height of the point is 0.020 inch, and the point diameter is also 0.020. the overall diameter is 0.600 inch.

-- Joe

30 replies so far

View TopamaxSurvivor's profile


14620 posts in 2280 days

#1 posted 880 days ago

I think they mark centers.

-- "some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

View ajosephg's profile


1840 posts in 2165 days

#2 posted 880 days ago

That’s kind of what I think to, but what makes me wonder is that 0.600 seems to be an odd ball diameter for a hole. Plus, they are so thin if you put it in a hole it would be hard to get it in straight, to say nothing about getting it back out again.

-- Joe

View bandit571's profile


6701 posts in 1288 days

#3 posted 880 days ago

painter’s bench cookies ???

-- A Planer? I'M the planer, this is what I use

View bondogaposis's profile


2448 posts in 956 days

#4 posted 880 days ago

They look like dowel centers to me.

-- Bondo Gaposis

View richgreer's profile


4522 posts in 1679 days

#5 posted 879 days ago

I’m only guessing – but they make me think of old leather chairs that used a series of tacks to hold the leather in place.

-- Rich, Cedar Rapids, IA - I'm a woodworker. I don't create beauty, I reveal it.

View Edziu's profile


150 posts in 1655 days

#6 posted 879 days ago

This is a long shot, but i’m inclined to say that they are scraps of brass from machining off a longer brass rod. Those may have been the part that was held in the jaws, and whatever they made got cut off and that was left over.

I’m only suggesting this because I’ve got lots of things like that in my shop junk drawer of “things i’ll find a use for someday”

View a1Jim's profile


112002 posts in 2181 days

#7 posted 879 days ago

They look like markers for your golf ball when putting.

-- Custom furniture

View Dallas's profile


2857 posts in 1092 days

#8 posted 879 days ago

The definitive answer:

They are parts of a damifino.

-- Improvise.... Adapt...... Overcome!

View Dark_Lightning's profile


1673 posts in 1713 days

#9 posted 879 days ago

Did he ever do any surveying? They sort of look like property line markers. Just a WAG.

View allmyfingers's profile


40 posts in 1251 days

#10 posted 879 days ago

EASY! they are round discs of brass!!!;)

-- I cut it 3 times and it was still too short?!?

View TrBlu's profile


358 posts in 1230 days

#11 posted 879 days ago

Is there a center point on both sides? I am thinkg dowel markers.

-- The more I work with wood the more I recognize only God can make something as beautiful as a tree. I hope my humble attempts at this craft do justice by His masterpiece. -- Tim

View ajosephg's profile


1840 posts in 2165 days

#12 posted 879 days ago

@Rich – Good thought, but the point is much too small to hold anything.

@A1Jim – Golf ball markers? Would work ok for that, but I doubt my Grandpa ever set foot on a golf course let alone even held a club in his hands. Hmmm – but – my dad was a chauffeur for a millionaire lady and her daughter for awhile. You might be right.

@AtomJack – Neither one did any surveying, besides they are much too small to mark a property line. You would lose it in the dirt, LOL

@TrBlu – Center point on only one side.

I just thought of another long shot. Could they be die blanks prior to being stamped into a coin or token?

@Edziu – They look too finished to be cut-offs, and much too thin to be what remains in the head stock.

Dowel Center Advocates: I don’t think so because they would fall into the hole.

-- Joe

View TCCcabinetmaker's profile


925 posts in 959 days

#13 posted 879 days ago

I’ve seen mention of something along these lines, but I don’t think my brain remembers them because they don’t really translate into modern methods well.

However, if they are in fact dowel markers, these would be the type you use before boring any holes, thus they would not fall in.

-- The mark of a good carpenter is not how few mistakes he makes, but rather how well he fixes them.

View Grumpy's profile


19326 posts in 2455 days

#14 posted 879 days ago

They look like a version of those plastic pads tacked into the bottom of chair legs to protect the flooring and the chair leg.

-- Grumpy - "Always look on the bright side of life"- Monty Python

View dbhost's profile


5378 posts in 1836 days

#15 posted 879 days ago

Grumpy might be right… They look like furniture slides…

-- My workshop blog can be found at

showing 1 through 15 of 30 replies

Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics :: gardening showcase