|Forum topic by LittlePaw||posted 03-01-2012 09:04 PM||745 views||0 times favorited||8 replies|
03-01-2012 09:04 PM
I heard that Warren Buffett, in a recent interview with CNBC, offered one of the best quotes about our country’s debt ceiling:
“I could end the deficit in 5 minutes,” he told CNBC. “You just pass a law that says that anytime there is a deficit of more than 3% of GDP, all sitting members of Congress – regardless of party affiliation – are ineligible for re-election.
The 26th amendment (granting the right to vote for 18 year-olds) took only 3 months & 8 days to be ratified! Why? Simple! The people demanded it. That was in 1971 – before computers, e-mail, cell phones, etc.
Of the 27 amendments to the Constitution, seven (7) took one (1) year or less to become the law of the land – all because of public pressure. Warren Buffet is asking each addressee to forward this email to a minimum of twenty people on their address list; in turn ask each of those to do likewise.
In three days, most people in The United States of America will have the message. This is one idea that really should be passed around to everyone. WE THE PEOPLE must act on this together and get Congress on the right track.
1. No Tenure / No Pension. A Congressman/woman collects a salary while in office and receives no pay when they’re out of office.
2. Congress (past, present & future) participates in Social Security. All funds in the Congressional retirement fund move to the Social Security system immediately. All future funds flow into the Social Security system, and Congress participates with the American people. It may not be used for any other purpose.
3. Congress can purchase their own retirement plan, just as all Americans do.
4. Congress will no longer vote themselves a pay raise. Congressional pay may be raised by the lower of CPI or 3%.
5. Congress loses their current health care system and participates in the same health care system as the American people.
6. Congress must equally abide by all laws they impose on the American people.
7. All contracts with past and present Congressmen/women are void retroactive as of 1/1/12. The American people did not make this contract with Congressmen/women. Congressmen/women made all these contracts for themselves. Serving in Congress is an honor, not a career. Our Founding Fathers envisioned citizen legislators, so ours should serve their term(s), then go home and back to work.
If each person sends this proposal to a minimum of twenty people, it will only take three days for most people (in the U.S.) to receive the message. Don’t you think it’s time WE THE PEOPLE turn the pressure on to get this done and set Congress on the right track? Through the years, they gradually got us into the mess we’re in now. Changes to status quo is now mandatory if we were to restore America to its former glory and our way of life.
THIS IS HOW YOU FIX CONGRESS!
-- LittlePAW - The sweetest sound in my shop, next to Mozart, is what a hand plane makes slicing a ribbon.