What is this joint called?

  • Advertise with us

« back to Woodworking Skill Share forum

Forum topic by raydizzle posted 02-13-2012 06:42 AM 2527 views 0 times favorited 8 replies Add to Favorites Watch
View raydizzle's profile


21 posts in 2519 days

02-13-2012 06:42 AM

Topic tags/keywords: joinery joint inspiring question resource

the notches on the work to strengthen the cracks

It looks like a stand alone dovetail, I was just wondering if it had a special name?

Also, read this article and video if you guys haven’t seen it yet. Very inspiring to me because I’d like to reach his level someday.

8 replies so far

View crank49's profile


4032 posts in 3120 days

#1 posted 02-13-2012 07:03 AM


View raydizzle's profile


21 posts in 2519 days

#2 posted 02-13-2012 07:06 AM

Check out that article also. Really good read

View AlaskaGuy's profile


4525 posts in 2458 days

#3 posted 02-13-2012 07:34 AM

Are they not also called Bow Tie joint?

-- Alaskan's for Global warming!

View Mickey Cassiba's profile

Mickey Cassiba

312 posts in 3181 days

#4 posted 02-13-2012 08:18 AM

I’ve heard them called ‘Dutchmen’ as well, butterfly is the most common name Ive heard.

-- One of these hammers oughta fix that...

View crank49's profile


4032 posts in 3120 days

#5 posted 02-13-2012 08:53 AM

Bow tie works as well.
They actually look more like bow ties than butterflies.
But, I’ve always heard them called butterflies or dovetail keys.
Well, dovetail keys are more closely associated with mitered corners.

View patron's profile


13630 posts in 3490 days

#6 posted 02-13-2012 09:01 AM

butterfly and bow tie
both name that inlay

a ‘dutchman’ is any inlay done in boat building
to repair crushed or broken wood
it has no specific shape
but the ‘cutout’ it replaces
and is not necessarily used to join wood
although it can be
as in situations like the above

-- david - only thru kindness can this world be whole . If we don't succeed we run the risk of failure. Dan Quayle

View Dave's profile


11429 posts in 2989 days

#7 posted 02-14-2012 12:23 AM

Hand Inlay of a Bowtie-Dutchman

-- Superdav "No matter where you go - there you are."

View S4S's profile


2118 posts in 2830 days

#8 posted 02-14-2012 12:43 AM

Black Widow Key …......when you need more dangerous sounding terminology to impress the layman ,or if you are just goofy like me.

Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics