|Forum topic by Grampa_Doodie||posted 763 days ago||2411 views||0 times favorited||20 replies|
763 days ago
The following story is NOT for the faint of heart. But it’s a true story, and I hope many others learn from my mistake.
A few years back, I was putting together a face frame project using simple pocket-hole joinery. Before I go on, I must say that most people know me as Mr. Safety. I’m constantly thinking safety.
This one day in April, and yes…it was the 1st of April, I made a huge mistake. I placed my left hand (free hand) too close to the joint that I was securing with my battery-powered driver drill and pocket-hole joinery bit in my right hand.
While using very little pressure with my right hand, the 8” long pocket-hole bit slipped out of the pocket and went completely through the palm of my left hand. Of course I immediately withdrew the bit from my left hand, and then stood there in shock surveying the moment.
When I called my wife to tell her about it, she thought that I was playing an April Fool’s Day joke on her. But obviously, I was not.
Seeing that it was a Sunday, I had to wait until the next day to see a hand specialist. He told me that I was one very lucky person. The bit had hit absolutely nothing inside my hand, and I’ve been very blessed with no damage whatsoever.
Here’s the part that bothers me the most. On many occasions I’ve seen professional woodworkers on TV making this same exact mistake. I’ve also seen professional woodworkers at woodworking shows do the same thing as well.
Remedy? Keep your free hand away from the end of that bit!! Use proper clamping techniques folks. Please, learn from my mistake.
-- If at first you don't succeed...DO NOT try skydiving.