What type of GLUE would this be?

  • Advertise with us

« back to Power Tools, Hardware and Accessories forum

Forum topic by longgone posted 02-10-2012 06:39 PM 1261 views 0 times favorited 8 replies Add to Favorites Watch
View longgone's profile


5688 posts in 3512 days

02-10-2012 06:39 PM

I sometimes use adhesive velvet lining for lining the bottom of my boxes. Sometimes I use leather instead and have used contact cement to glue the leather to the wood bottom. Contact cement requires applying it to both surfaces.
The adhesive backed felt I use has the adhesive on only one surface and has a peel-off paper backing. This is much easier but I would like to use this type of glue on the leather instead of contact cement.

Does anyone know what type of glue this might be?
The people at the hardware store, Lowes and myself included don’t have a clue.


8 replies so far

View Danpaddles's profile


573 posts in 2515 days

#1 posted 02-10-2012 06:50 PM

I think it is not a glue, but a double sticky tape. Like carpet tape, but much thinner. It would be very hard to handle outside of a manufacturing environment. (and quite possibly a handful IN a manufacturing environment!!)

-- Dan V. in Indy

View Dallas's profile


3599 posts in 2691 days

#2 posted 02-10-2012 06:51 PM

How about 3M’s Double Linered Adhesive Transfer Tape 7955MP.


-- Improvise.... Adapt...... Overcome!

View cloakie1's profile


204 posts in 2758 days

#3 posted 02-10-2012 07:23 PM

i think it is like a double sided tape as well…when i was playing table tennis i could buy a sheet of double sided sticky for replacing the rubbers on my bat….i would think the same stuff would be ideal for what you want as well…can’t remember what it was called tho

-- just get stuck in and have a go!!!

View LittlePaw's profile


1571 posts in 3282 days

#4 posted 02-10-2012 09:28 PM

Sorry, I don’t know, but I’ll be watching this to learn more, Greg. Thanx

-- LittlePAW - The sweetest sound in my shop, next to Mozart, is what a hand plane makes slicing a ribbon.

View Roger's profile


20952 posts in 3008 days

#5 posted 02-11-2012 01:28 AM

yup, what Paul said. I do know that whatever it is, it sure is sticky

-- Roger from KY. Work/Play/Travel Safe. Keep your dust collector fed.

View Tootles's profile


808 posts in 2705 days

#6 posted 02-12-2012 12:27 PM

Some contact glues can be applied to only one surface. The catch is that you then need to apply pressure for a period of time, which you needn’t do if you apply that same glue to both surfaces and allow to dry before making contact.

-- I may have lost my marbles, but I still have my love of woodworking

View cloakie1's profile


204 posts in 2758 days

#7 posted 02-13-2012 08:47 AM

i have just remembered about another product…can’t remember the name but it came in an aerolsol can and you just sprayed it on left it still it tacked off and then rolled you fabric into place….probably getit from an upholster i think

-- just get stuck in and have a go!!!

View woodluc's profile


11 posts in 2533 days

#8 posted 02-13-2012 10:43 AM

Id say that it would be doubled sided tape also, but i have never seen it sold in anything wider than 6-30mm wide rolls. Maybe you can get wide rolls from a wholesalers.

I think that the stuff in the aerosol can is also a contact adhesive.


Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics