What do these go to?

  • Advertise with us

« back to Hand Tools forum

Forum topic by Cornductor posted 01-21-2012 04:54 AM 1281 views 0 times favorited 9 replies Add to Favorites Watch
View Cornductor's profile


208 posts in 2689 days

01-21-2012 04:54 AM

Topic tags/keywords: planer blade chisel jointer

I found these blades in the shop about a year ago and never got around to posting any thing on them. They were buried in a heap of dust and dirt. I’m guessing they go to a hand planer, if so what kind. Any thoughts would be helpful.


-- An investment in knowledge pays the best interest. Benjamin Franklin

9 replies so far

View Dallas's profile


3599 posts in 2509 days

#1 posted 01-21-2012 05:09 AM

They look more like shaper blades to me. I’m pretty certain they aren’t plane irons.

-- Improvise.... Adapt...... Overcome!

View DIYaholic's profile


19623 posts in 2697 days

#2 posted 01-21-2012 05:23 AM

They go to…......

The highest bidder!!! Lol.

-- Randy-- I may not be good...but I am slow! If good things come to those who wait.... Why is procrastination a bad thing?

View Robert Brown's profile

Robert Brown

151 posts in 2713 days

#3 posted 01-21-2012 05:42 AM

Looks like they go to a Stanley #45 or something similar.

View Grandpa's profile


3259 posts in 2697 days

#4 posted 01-21-2012 06:14 AM

They look awfully thick for plane irons. I don’t think I have ever seen any shaper blades like this. Anything I have would be a guess and a poor one at that

View David Kirtley's profile

David Kirtley

1286 posts in 3020 days

#5 posted 01-21-2012 06:53 AM

They are either for a #45 or #55. Would be easy to sell to people missing some. Not terribly expensive but most that have them keep them for their own. Looks like a nice selection.

Here is a picture of what the whole set would look like:

-- Woodworking shouldn't cost a fortune:

View Cornductor's profile


208 posts in 2689 days

#6 posted 01-21-2012 07:07 AM

AHH HAA Yes do do look like there for a Stanley #45. I don’t anything about the 45 or even the 55 I’m going to do some history reading on these. Thanks guys.

-- An investment in knowledge pays the best interest. Benjamin Franklin

View lewis62's profile


73 posts in 2661 days

#7 posted 01-21-2012 01:14 PM

They do go to a # 45 or 55, I just got a 45 from my father in law. I would like to have them , if you dont intend to get one . Have some smaller pieces of curly maple or quater sawn oak if you would be interested in a trade, cash is tight right now.

View MikeS's profile


92 posts in 3869 days

#8 posted 01-21-2012 04:27 PM

Yes they are for a 45. I have a number of them myself for my 45.

View poopiekat's profile


4356 posts in 3756 days

#9 posted 01-21-2012 05:27 PM

Yes, those little notches are for engaging the depth adjustment rod on Stanley 45s and 55s. I imagine they might also work on equivalent planes like perhaps a Sears or Record multiplanes as well. The flat cutters like these are the only ones I ever use, the beads and other profiles lie unused in my toolbox. Great find!!!!

-- Einstein: "The intuitive mind is a sacred gift, and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift." I'm Poopiekat!!

Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics