Does anyone know what this is?

  • Advertise with us

« back to Hand Tools forum

Forum topic by CherokeeCountyHM posted 01-20-2012 07:24 PM 1662 views 0 times favorited 13 replies Add to Favorites Watch
View CherokeeCountyHM's profile


2 posts in 2011 days

01-20-2012 07:24 PM

Topic tags/keywords: tools unknown question

We received this tool at the Cherokee County Historical Museum and have no clue what it is. Does anyone know what it is and what it may have been used for?

13 replies so far

View Peter Oxley's profile

Peter Oxley

1426 posts in 3567 days

#1 posted 01-20-2012 07:47 PM

Can you give approximate size, and maybe a photo from another angle? It looks like the working end is away from us. Is that some kind of hinge mechanism on the far end?

-- -- --

View foneman's profile


112 posts in 3787 days

#2 posted 01-20-2012 08:06 PM

It is either a tooth extractor or a fish hook remover…..

actually I don’t have a clue what it is

View Dallas's profile


3599 posts in 2180 days

#3 posted 01-20-2012 08:10 PM

I would venture a guess that it’s some sort of specialized bench dog, a sort of a clamp that works in a hole in the wood working bench.
I am probably wrong, but it was worth a shot. what do I win?

-- Improvise.... Adapt...... Overcome!

View Don W's profile

Don W

18364 posts in 2260 days

#4 posted 01-20-2012 09:06 PM

its an antique nut cracker. They are in every antique store and flea market you walk into around here.

Edit; Something I didn’t know, you can still buy them new.

-- - Collecting is an investment in the past, and the future.

View CherokeeCountyHM's profile


2 posts in 2011 days

#5 posted 01-21-2012 01:31 AM

Well it certainly does look like a nutcracker. Thank you Don W.

View lysdexic's profile


5211 posts in 2315 days

#6 posted 01-21-2012 05:40 AM

Don- your knowledge base is impressive.

-- "It's only wood. Use it." - Smitty

View kizerpea's profile


774 posts in 2060 days

#7 posted 01-21-2012 02:47 PM

yep i,m in on the nut cracker….wall nuts…


View dustbunny's profile


1149 posts in 2988 days

#8 posted 01-21-2012 04:51 PM

I could be way off but here goes,

It reminds me of a levered rope cleat.

What are the dimensions of it ?


-- Imagination rules the world. ~ Napoleon Bonaparte ~

View poopiekat's profile


4314 posts in 3427 days

#9 posted 01-21-2012 05:52 PM

I recall seeing something like this on the wall of my grandmother’s porch. It was used for clamping the tail of a catfish when it was being skinned. Then she’d pull off the skin with pliers and a knife. As resourceful as she was, it was probably repurposed from whatever it was originally made for, though.

-- Einstein: "The intuitive mind is a sacred gift, and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift." I'm Poopiekat!!

View Alan Robertson's profile

Alan Robertson

66 posts in 3611 days

#10 posted 01-21-2012 06:42 PM

Can’t tell for sure, no size referance. Looks like part of a barbed wire fence tightener. Maybe a better picture of the jaws. Disclaimer: don’t bet too much money on my answer.

-- MrAl

View Jim Finn's profile

Jim Finn

2541 posts in 2614 days

#11 posted 01-21-2012 10:49 PM

is it lying on the floor like this ?

-- "You may have your PHD but I have my GED and my DD 214"

View doughan's profile


96 posts in 2284 days

#12 posted 01-21-2012 10:51 PM

It’s a cupacabra holding device.Them suckers wiggle like hell when you sand them.

View miwoodplay's profile


1 post in 2382 days

#13 posted 01-22-2012 05:36 AM

Could it possibly be a fence or wire stretcher, mounted to the board for a different use?
Just my guess.

-- miwoodplay

Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics