Home heating question

  • Advertise with us

« back to Coffee Lounge forum

Forum topic by mission76 posted 01-17-2012 06:04 AM 872 views 0 times favorited 4 replies Add to Favorites Watch
View mission76's profile


47 posts in 3825 days

01-17-2012 06:04 AM

In a few weeks I’m converting from oil to gas heat. I was thinking about changing what I always thought were the radiators throughout the house as the are old and corroded, some of them I can’t bleed because the screw to do it is basically rotted out. Anyway I was just online tonight looking for videos to see how complicated this would be but I can’t find anything. This has to be because I’m calling it by the worng name so if I could explain what I’m talking about maybe someone could giveme the right term for it

I have the hot water pipes running through the fins to heat the air. I don’t have baseboard I have the older style, the cover to these elements is about 3 feet high and runs the entire length of the element. The cover is the one where you have to pull it from the bottom to unhook it.

Ive tried “replacing hot water element”, “hot water radiator”, “home heating element”, and a few others and cannot seem to find anything. I hope this makes sense to someone. Thanks for any replies

4 replies so far

View HawkDriver's profile


447 posts in 2835 days

#1 posted 01-17-2012 07:26 AM

Are they the old steam radiators?

-- Patrick, Helicopters don't fly. They beat the air into submission.

View eccentrictinkerer's profile


38 posts in 3230 days

#2 posted 01-17-2012 07:37 AM

Try a search on “hydronic heating”.

I have a boiler/radiator system in my house that is 97 years old and works like a charm!

Large cast-iron radiators in each room give me even, quiet heat at 20 below zero.

Dread the thought of replacing the boiler, though. It must weigh 800 lbs. and it’s all covered with asbestos.

View mission76's profile


47 posts in 3825 days

#3 posted 01-17-2012 07:38 AM

No not steam just hot water coils that heat the air up. The ones I have are later then these, and are also built into the walls of the home.

Edit..I’m such an idiot! I should have just taken a picture of the thing! I’m posting one as soon as I read the embedding how to

View mission76's profile


47 posts in 3825 days

#4 posted 01-17-2012 08:27 AM

It’s the boxed in area that im trying to replace

Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics