Help - Need help on finding curly maple plywood

  • Advertise with us

« back to Wood & Lumber forum

Forum topic by getlostinwood posted 01-16-2012 03:48 AM 2090 views 0 times favorited 4 replies Add to Favorites Watch
View getlostinwood's profile


224 posts in 2570 days

01-16-2012 03:48 AM

Topic tags/keywords: question maple

Need to find either 1/4” or preferably 1/2” curly or birdseye maple plywood. Wanting to use in panels for a chest and havent played with veneers. Since this is already a sold commission piece I dont want to practice veneering on this one.


-- The basis for optimism is shear terror

4 replies so far

View eagleknight's profile


20 posts in 2291 days

#1 posted 01-16-2012 05:39 AM

I found this, but it is up in the NY and CT area….

Could you edge glue 1/2”... Might be the only option.

-- Matthew Sherman -

View a1Jim's profile


117063 posts in 3545 days

#2 posted 01-16-2012 05:51 AM

I don’t know a source. Time to practice veneering ,start with scarp wood.

-- wood crafting & woodworking classes

View shipwright's profile


7966 posts in 2766 days

#3 posted 01-16-2012 07:27 AM

Like Jim says, but I’d say do a search on “hammer veneering” especially on yuotube. There are some very good videos…............. and you don’t need a press at all.

-- Paul M ..............If God wanted us to have fiberglass boats he would have given us fibreglass trees.

View getlostinwood's profile


224 posts in 2570 days

#4 posted 01-16-2012 05:30 PM

Thanks for the suggestions, Hammer method seems reasonable. Have to do some thinking on this while I drive home tomorrow, gotta love 15 hours of windsheld time to solve woodworking problems.

-- The basis for optimism is shear terror

Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics