|Forum topic by jtbinvalrico||posted 12-28-2011 05:51 AM||10189 views||5 times favorited||30 replies|
12-28-2011 05:51 AM
This is a Craftsman belt sander I picked up for $50 a while ago….some spare time over the holidays let me make some progress on it. I patiently waited for one of these larger units to pop up around here. It came with a 1/3 hp motor on it.
I had a 1hp motor on the shelf, so I decided to upgrade the power on this sander. I had to make a minor adjustment in the pulley ratios to accommodate the 3450rpm speed of the new motor (the old one was 1725).
Here’s some early pictures:
I started with the normal tear-down….down to the pins and bearings. This unit was in pretty good shape; most of the rust was surface only:
Cleanup was mostly with the wire wheel and some fresh paint:
The old stand wouldn’t do….I got the standard HF stand and built it up to incorporate the new motor:
I like to add some mass to tool stands. I built a box onto the bottom shelf to hold about 60lbs of concrete…..it smooths out the machine and provides a solid base with the locking casters, easy to move, but stable when I park it. I’ll add the cover to the box after I pour the concrete tomorrow:
Added a cover for the motor pulley:
These old Craftsman machines have a bad rep for the tracking adjustment setup….can’t argue with that gripe. Two keys to getting an old sander like this to track nicely 1) good bearings in the idler pulley, and 2) proper crown on the idler pulley. My bearings were fine….But I read a lot of the tips offered up about belt tracking. I found that the easiest fix is to put two bands of masking tape around that pulley:
The new motor really pulls. Those marks on the belts are from me leaning into them trying to stall it out.
More to come.