Help finding chuck key

  • Advertise with us

« back to Power Tools, Hardware and Accessories forum

Forum topic by JohnEinNJ posted 12-22-2011 06:25 PM 1435 views 0 times favorited 2 replies Add to Favorites Watch
View JohnEinNJ's profile


94 posts in 2344 days

12-22-2011 06:25 PM

I’ve got an old drill press (Sprunger DP14) with no chuck key. The chuck is labeled “Ridgid Supreme Professional 1500” and separately “O-1/2” and “33 Taper”. Anyone have any idea where to find a chuck key? was a dead end, as was Ridgid tech support. Thanks in advance!

2 replies so far

View Mickey Cassiba's profile

Mickey Cassiba

312 posts in 3028 days

#1 posted 12-22-2011 09:49 PM

I believe harbor freight still sells the 4 in ones quite reasonably. by both sizes and you can work any drill chuck known to man

-- One of these hammers oughta fix that...

View richgreer's profile


4541 posts in 3071 days

#2 posted 12-22-2011 10:04 PM

This is not the response you are looking for but I will take this opportunity to comment on chuck keys in general.

There are 6 Jacob’s chucks in my workshop that require a chuck keep. No 2 of the 6 are compatible.

Some may say, “switch to keyless chucks”. That is not always possible and, in general, keyless chucks just don’t have the holding power of a keyed chuck.

As an FYI – I do have keyless chucks on both of my cordless drills. It seems like being keyless and being cordless go hand-in-hand. However, both stationary drill presses, my shopsmith, a corded hammer drill, a chuck for the lathe and a chuck on the mortising machine all require chuck keys and they are all different.

-- Rich, Cedar Rapids, IA - I'm a woodworker. I don't create beauty, I reveal it.

Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics