Chamfer or Bevel

  • Advertise with us

« back to Woodworking Skill Share forum

Forum topic by Don Carrier posted 12-20-2011 02:02 AM 1208 views 0 times favorited 7 replies Add to Favorites Watch
View Don Carrier's profile

Don Carrier

114 posts in 2369 days

12-20-2011 02:02 AM

Topic tags/keywords: question cherry tablesaw router shaping shaker

I don’t know which term from the subject line is correct but I need help. I just finished a glue-up of the top for a nice cherry cabinet. It’s about 30×28 inches. I would like a nice low angle bevel on the edges. I’m fairly new at this, so I searched the forums thinking table saw. The whole left tilt right tilt thing made my head hurt. And after a recent serious tablesaw injury there are no taking chances situations in my future. Now I’m thinking router.

What do you guys, the pros, do? It’s a 3/4 top and I’d like a nice angle of the edge.

Thanks ahead of time

-- Don

7 replies so far

View SASmith               's profile


1850 posts in 2980 days

#1 posted 12-20-2011 02:06 AM
They have angles from 15-45 degrees.
I typically use a 45 degree chamfer.

-- Scott Smith, Southern Illinois

View ksSlim's profile


1275 posts in 2883 days

#2 posted 12-20-2011 02:08 AM

Handplane. Draw a couple of reference lines and then plane to the lines.

-- Sawdust and shavings are therapeutic

View Don W's profile

Don W

18707 posts in 2561 days

#3 posted 12-20-2011 03:02 AM

ditto on the hand plane. Plane the end grain first, then anything split on the sides will get taken off when those get planed.

-- - Collecting is an investment in the past, and the future.

View Smitty_Cabinetshop's profile


15341 posts in 2611 days

#4 posted 12-20-2011 03:14 AM

Triple ditto re: the handplane. But, I’m not a pro.

-- Don't anthropomorphize your handplanes. They hate it when you do that. -- OldTools Archive --

View 404 - Not Found's profile

404 - Not Found

2544 posts in 2962 days

#5 posted 12-20-2011 03:20 AM

A beveled panel raising bit might do it in a router table if you don’t want to saw or plane it

View SnowyRiver's profile


51457 posts in 3473 days

#6 posted 12-20-2011 03:40 AM

You could easily do the bevel with a table saw or router. Since the top is probably square or rectangular, I would opt for the table saw. If you have a left tilt blade, simply run the piece on the left side of the fence with the top of the piece up or downdepending on what side you want the bevel. If its a right tilt blade, move the fence to the other side (left side) of the blade and do the same…top up/down…this way the cut off piece is under the blade rather than the entire board.

-- Wayne - Plymouth MN

View Don Carrier's profile

Don Carrier

114 posts in 2369 days

#7 posted 12-20-2011 03:46 AM

Thanks guys. I’ll see if I can get my hands on a router bit. I’m sure a hand plane would work great but I have no time to learn, as this is a christmas present. Moving the fence on the table saw is not an option. i’m a right tilt with not enough room. And that issue alone could turn this question into war and peace.

-- Don

Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics