Need help choosing a small hollowing tool

  • Advertise with us

« back to Power Tools, Hardware and Accessories forum

Forum topic by Jack Gaskins posted 11-08-2011 01:47 PM 987 views 0 times favorited 2 replies Add to Favorites Watch
View Jack Gaskins's profile

Jack Gaskins

46 posts in 3039 days

11-08-2011 01:47 PM

I want to make some birdhouses but I want to make medium size houses like with a 1 1/2 inch opening in the top and about 4 inches long and about 3 inches in diameter. I made a couple this past weekend and they turned out heavy because I could not get into the opening and take out more wood to make the walls thin. I have read about everyone making a tool but I dont really want to make one I would rather just buy one. Any suggestions on what I should look for? I would also like a tool for hollowing small vases and ornaments.

Thanks, Jack.

-- USAF Ret. 2006

2 replies so far

View doordude's profile


1085 posts in 3007 days

#1 posted 11-09-2011 08:54 AM

sorby makes one that i’ve used, its about 65.00, i may buy from ” easy wood turning tool” with a round carbide cutting disk,that is a throw away,its about 139.00,both will work.

View sandhill's profile


2128 posts in 3948 days

#2 posted 04-08-2012 10:16 PM

Use a band saw and glue it back together faster and easier.

Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics