Stranger in the shop?

  • Advertise with us

« back to Hand Tools forum

Forum topic by bandit571 posted 11-01-2011 02:52 AM 1270 views 0 times favorited 8 replies Add to Favorites Watch
View bandit571's profile (online now)


19958 posts in 2677 days

11-01-2011 02:52 AM

Topic tags/keywords: question plane

Not sure what that red item is for….

The wood used to be an old rafter, I seem to have a nice pile of them. There is one tool in the shop that seems to get a lot of work these day:

It’s got a steel wheel, and a tapered iron. The “blue” paint was put there by another “user”. Now, about that red handled item, any clues out there?

-- A Planer? I'M the planer, this is what I use

8 replies so far

View PurpLev's profile


8535 posts in 3642 days

#1 posted 11-01-2011 03:01 AM

I actually use that red thing quite often. I don’t like not being able to see the floor especially with most of my tools on casters

-- ㊍ When in doubt - There is no doubt - Go the safer route.

View Mark Shymanski's profile

Mark Shymanski

5621 posts in 3706 days

#2 posted 11-14-2011 06:53 AM

Its a cellulose fibre dispersal reduction tool. Modeled after the charge coupled device (CCD) arrays on remote sensing satellites collects and collates cellulose fibres that have been dispersed through out a given area, but the concentration of these fibres are generally nearest power tools or enthusiastically applied handplanes. LOL!

I’m with PurpLev I apply mine to the dispersion often:-)

-- "Checking for square? What madness is this! The cabinet is square because I will it to be so!" Jeremy Greiner LJ Topic#20953 2011 Feb 2

View mtenterprises's profile


933 posts in 2687 days

#3 posted 11-14-2011 02:35 PM

The cellulose fibre dispersal reduction tool normally comes in a set like this.

And over the years I have been able to collect the full set.

(way too much fun here)

-- See pictures on Flickr - And visit my Facebook page -

View bandit571's profile (online now)


19958 posts in 2677 days

#4 posted 11-14-2011 03:51 PM

I think mine is there just to trip me as I walk by, maybe trying to tell me something?

A planer, a tablesaw, several handplanes, ALL putting a nice layer of wood debirs on my floor. The biggest collection is from the planer. It’s pile of stuff collects under the bench vise. It’ is kind of nice to stand on that pile while working at the vise. Better than bare concrete.

-- A Planer? I'M the planer, this is what I use

View Bill White's profile

Bill White

4928 posts in 3954 days

#5 posted 11-14-2011 04:20 PM

Mark, you’re not well.
I’ll bet you could write tomes for the government.
(My humor for the day.)


View poopiekat's profile


4354 posts in 3728 days

#6 posted 11-14-2011 04:22 PM

I have one too, mostly I use it to push sawdust under the workbenches and table saws where it belongs.

-- Einstein: "The intuitive mind is a sacred gift, and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift." I'm Poopiekat!!

View CharlieM1958's profile


16274 posts in 4212 days

#7 posted 11-14-2011 04:29 PM

You guys don’t know what you’re talking about. It’s a brush for applying BLO to large projects. First you slop it on with the red-handled brush, then you wipe off the excess with one of these:

-- Charlie M. "Woodworking - patience = firewood"

View tom427cid's profile


294 posts in 2465 days

#8 posted 11-14-2011 04:31 PM

So that’s what that da-n thing is for—debris dispersion—and I suppose that that other funny lookin thing with the long handle and flat blady thing has something to do with debris concentration?
Inquiring minds need to know.

-- "certified sawdust maker"

Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics