Teacher desk , refining the project

  • Advertise with us

« back to Designing Woodworking Projects forum

Forum topic by jkjames posted 10-25-2011 12:02 AM 899 views 0 times favorited 0 replies Add to Favorites Watch
View jkjames's profile


13 posts in 2575 days

10-25-2011 12:02 AM

Topic tags/keywords: desk desktop teacher question tablesaw joining

I am curious what you might think about how to reduce the complexity and cost of this project as it looks like I have generated some interest.

My girlfriend is a teacher and was in dire need of an organized “podium” from which to teach. After overanalyzing the factors like “barstool height”, “large book storage”, ultra-durable top”, etc… this is what I came up with:

While she loves it, I really only like it since I can see the flaws. I think I can do better. Bettering this design will become more important since all of her teacher friends love it and want one too. I don’t mind helping out, but I need to get my act together in order.

I need to wrap my head around making this simpler so that making more of them doesn’t kill me. I will buy a table saw for sure and any other tools needed. There are only four parts in this kit. The top. The vertical legs. The horizontal shelf bottoms. the piece that connects the left leg to the bookshelf (only support for the left leg).

The main problem was good connections to get the rigidity I needed. I used 6” 1×1 pine and drove screws both horizontally and vertically to the adjacent members locked together. (Can’t see any fasteners from the outside either…) My thought here was the ability to break this down to flat so it can be transported in a car’s back seat.

Any input/critiques/suggestions would be appreciated in making this easier to replicate and hopefully at a cheaper cost, even if its a drastic departure from what I have envisioned…

Thanks to all!!

For the first one:
All materials were Home Depot sourced. Wood is a laminated pine sheet (planks edge glued together to form large sheet stock, butcher block style. Sorry I forgot the correct name for it.) All cuts were made on the home depot saw which wasn’t square. Assembly was done on my living room floor. Condos are a pain sometimes. My patio is 6’x12’ which makes it impossible for ripping full sheets, plus edge work increases cost and complexity. I ended up putting a glass top on it for the “ultra-durable” factor.

0 replies so far

Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics