Where to buy valve grinding paste?

  • Advertise with us

« back to Hand Tools forum

Forum topic by Brett posted 10-19-2011 06:44 PM 1520 views 0 times favorited 5 replies Add to Favorites Watch
View Brett's profile


660 posts in 2588 days

10-19-2011 06:44 PM

I bought some old bit-brace bits (the kind with the conical lead screw) that I am planning to restore. I need to buy some valve grinding paste to sharpen the lead screw ( Anybody know where I can find some?

-- More tools, fewer machines.

5 replies so far

View dbhost's profile


5686 posts in 3137 days

#1 posted 10-19-2011 06:56 PM

Advance Auto around me carries the stuff. Pretty sure any NAPA, Oreilly, Auto Zone, Shucks, Kragen, or what have you will have it…

A quick Google search shows that both Sears and Amazon have the stuff…

-- My workshop blog can be found at, YouTube Channel

View Brett's profile


660 posts in 2588 days

#2 posted 10-19-2011 07:01 PM

Thanks. I did try to Google it, but since my original post, I had better luck on the auto-parts web sites when I searched for “valve grinding compound”. Maybe “paste” is a British term.

-- More tools, fewer machines.

View Bill White's profile

Bill White

4856 posts in 3866 days

#3 posted 10-22-2011 09:23 PM

Why doncha just go the an auto parts store?


View Brett's profile


660 posts in 2588 days

#4 posted 10-24-2011 04:50 PM

Bill, I plan to go to the auto parts store—now that I know they sell what I’m looking for. :)

-- More tools, fewer machines.

View Mauricio's profile


7139 posts in 3057 days

#5 posted 10-24-2011 05:18 PM

I got mine at Advanced Auto also.

-- Mauricio - Woodstock, GA - "Confusion is the Womb of Learning, with utter conviction being it's Tomb" Prof. T.O. Nitsch

Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics