|Forum topic by Mike||posted 09-18-2011 06:54 AM||4673 views||0 times favorited||7 replies|
09-18-2011 06:54 AM
So I was looking a while ago at the 4” pipe for dust collectors and I really didn’t want to spend an arm and a leg since I am renting the house my shop is in. I was looking for something that I could get that would do the job, but also not be a problem to replace if I moved. After looking around at Grizzly, HF, and tons of websites, I finally figured I should take a coupling from my system over and see what I could come up with.
I found a guy who worked in the plumbing section and asked him what he might have for a solution. After taking a look at the PVC pipe and decided that the cost was way to high, we went over to the AC section were the same conclusion was made. Being that it was the middle of last winter and there was snow falling at the time I figured that there might still be some 4” drainage PVC piping out in the Garden section left over from the warmer weather. I asked the store rep if he would help me look. Grabbing every warm piece of clothing that he could find (it was well towards 0 F) we headed out.
I took the coupling that I had brought with me and stuck it in the end of the tub. It fit! The only downside was that there was a 1/4” space in some areas of the black pipe around the couple. I squeezed the piping around the coupling and found that it would flex easily. I decided that worst case, if it didn’t work out, I could find another use for it. I got a spool about 30 ft long for under $25 – $30.
After an interesting time getting it into my Hyundai Elantra, I got it home and into the shop. I cut a section off for my jointer and took four pan head screws and attached it to the jointer and dust collector. Each screw was fastened at a 90 degree angle to each other. I turned on the collector, turned on the jointer, then started jointing a scrap board. Turning both the DC and jointer off, I took the out put chute off the jointer to inspect inside the black tubing. Success! There were no chips in either the jointer output shoot nor the black pipe! I reassembled everything and for the first time ever, I finally used Duct Tape for its designed purpose.
Well I have been using this system for over 6 months now without any problems or jams as a result of the pipe. The valleys on the piping don’t even collect any chips and everything gets to the DC. I have some tubing that runs some ten to fifteen feet with out any problems.
I hope this helps!
-- look Ma! I still got all eleven of my fingers! - http://www.lepelstatcrafts.etsy.com - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCppWfrYGXCr5lm9uW-Fpqqw