edge banding

  • Advertise with us

« back to Wood & Lumber forum

Forum topic by lazyborn1 posted 09-05-2011 02:21 PM 838 views 0 times favorited 2 replies Add to Favorites Watch
View lazyborn1's profile


20 posts in 3242 days

09-05-2011 02:21 PM

I have made 8 drawers using 1/2” birch plywood. What is the best way to cover the exposed edges? I am thinking of buying rolled veneer edge bands (if I can find 1/2” wide). I would like to know how others solved similar problems.


2 replies so far

View bunkie's profile


412 posts in 3142 days

#1 posted 09-05-2011 02:53 PM

I’ve used a lot of this stuff. I have a love/hate relationship with it. I’ve never seen it in any size other than 7/8”.

I have a blog entry about trimming it:

My main issues are that it’s all to easy to catch the edge and have it lift off the work, it’s difficult to get the edges trimmed nicely and you can see the glue edge (it’s a little too obvious that’s it’s the iron-on stuff). Having said that, it certainly is convenient and it’s relatively cheap.

These days I tend to use maple edging ripped from boards instead of the iron on stuff. It’s more work, but the results are much nicer.

-- Altruism is, ultimately, self-serving

View CharlieM1958's profile


16274 posts in 4213 days

#2 posted 09-05-2011 03:16 PM

Ditto what bunkie said.

Another easy way, at least when you are using 3/4” ply , is to edge it with screen molding, available at any home center of lumber yard. You might be able to find a similar molding in 1/2” width.

-- Charlie M. "Woodworking - patience = firewood"

Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics