Cutting wood at a 15 degree angle?

  • Advertise with us

« back to Woodworking Skill Share forum

Forum topic by neolumber posted 06-12-2018 01:30 PM 586 views 0 times favorited 9 replies Add to Favorites Watch
View neolumber's profile


1 post in 190 days

06-12-2018 01:30 PM

I am a newbie.
What kind of inexpensive equipment can I use to cut a 3/4” piece of wood at a 15 degree angle, with pretty good accuracy?

9 replies so far

View Bill_Steele's profile


451 posts in 1937 days

#1 posted 06-12-2018 01:51 PM

Miter saw.

View bondogaposis's profile


5098 posts in 2557 days

#2 posted 06-12-2018 01:57 PM

Hand saw.

-- Bondo Gaposis

View BurlyBob's profile


5987 posts in 2471 days

#3 posted 06-12-2018 02:00 PM

Table saw. Tip the blade to 75 degrees and have at it. One side will be 15 degrees the other 75 degrees.

View rwe2156's profile


3174 posts in 1686 days

#4 posted 06-12-2018 02:05 PM

You can buy a router pretty cheap at a pawn shop or off craigslist.

You can buy this bit here.

-- Everything is a prototype thats why its one of a kind!!

View Fresch's profile


363 posts in 2126 days

#5 posted 06-12-2018 02:18 PM

Wait till January?

View bandit571's profile


21801 posts in 2889 days

#6 posted 06-12-2018 02:24 PM

Works for me….

-- A Planer? I'M the planer, this is what I use

View LesB's profile


1869 posts in 3649 days

#7 posted 06-12-2018 11:59 PM

You question leaves some unexplained perimeters. The wood is 3/4” by what and I’m not sure what “pretty good accuracy” is.
Also do you want a power tool or a hand tool. With a little practice just a protractor and simple hand saw saw is as inexpensive as you can get (probably $20 to $30) and with care you can get very close.
For inexpensive power equipment, I would recommend finding a used compound miter say on Craig’s list or E-bay.

House framers can be off a degree or two but fine furniture need to be made exactly.

re2156 is confused between a cut and a bevel.

-- Les B, Oregon

View jonah's profile


1928 posts in 3504 days

#8 posted 06-13-2018 01:53 AM

Which part of the board are you trying to cut at an angle? How big is it? If it’s the long side of a 2ft x 6inch x 3/4 inch board, for instance, you’ll need a table saw or a circular saw. If its the short side of the same board, you can do it with a hand saw, a miter saw, or a table saw.

View AlaskaGuy's profile


4821 posts in 2515 days

#9 posted 06-13-2018 01:59 AM

I’m wondering if he’s cut a miter across the face of the board or on the edge like cutting a bevel.

A miter cut refers to an angled cut on the face of two structures, which will be joined to make a corner called the miter joint. A bevel cut refers to an angled cut along the edge or end of the material. Miter cuts are made by pushing the flat on the table at an angle to the blade.

-- Alaskan's for Global warming!

Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics