Well, after much work I think I have found the problem with this planer wherein there was a very small amount of snipe at both ends of the stock.
Everything that I could image and everything that I read to try was tried but it persisted.
What seems to have done the trick was a brand new set of blades. They are only available around here by ordering online. They are probably made by the same factory that made the planer and the set of blades it came with.
I actually thought something was wrong with the planer when I first ran a board through it as it was much quieter. The finish is better than I can do with much sanding and there is practically no measurable or detectable snipe on either end. My caliper only goes to .0005” and what is there is less than that amount. I can barely see it by putting a straightedge along the stock and holding it up to a strong light.
So, even after I turned the original blades around, it was still not cutting correctly.
My theory is that the blades were trying to cut at an improper angle and producing a lot of pounding on the wood that forced the cutterhead away from the stock.
I suppose I could test this theory by putting the old blades back in and see if the snipe returns. I’m just not sure I want to bother.
Perhaps this same condition exists for many other planers that are leaving snipe.
I also know that my past reviews would have been much more favorable of this machine if they had just put in a good set of blades when it was made.
And yes…I’m still a bit skeptical. But so far…so good.
-- Website is finally up and running....www.woodandwrite.com