I have been aware for some time that the motor bearings on this saw were ill, and yesterday a new squealing noise confirmed that I should replace them without delay as I am in the middle of a job which requires much ripping and dimensioning of rough sawn stock.
I would say that the pictures are self explanatory but also want to add that I wanted to do the work as fast as possible-no luxury of stripping and cleaning, painting etc. No donning of white coats or sanitation of the work area-in fact the motor was opened up on the floor (since American motor maker Marathon didn’t provide a terminal block for convenience of quick detachment from power supply).I just managed to to sweep the floor and blow some dust to another location before setting to….
After removal of the top and extensions in one piece it is easier to remove and replace . the motor , which is heavy, by setting the machine on its side. The top is heavy but one normal man can handle it if he is careful.
I also took the opportunity to give the commutator a light skim to keep it happy-the last time this motor was worked on by me was some time in the mid eighties . Would have been nice to get the windings “shellacked” but not this time.
The saw spindle bearings were rough when spinning the shaft by hand so that assembly was removed and the bearings extracted. Original bearings in this saw were New Departure wide body type and I couldn’t get these when I rebuilt that saw in 198something, so had to convert it to common bearings by use of those two brass spacers to take up the space . I saw no reason to revert to wide body bearings again since almost 30 years have gone by on the common 6203 bearings. The motor had standard 6204 bearings.
Then four bearings cost NZ$40 , the job took about two hours and the saw is now as right as rain.
To be continued…