Corrosion-Resistant Paper?

  • Advertise with us

« back to Power Tools, Hardware and Accessories forum

Forum topic by Eric posted 03-18-2008 04:41 AM 3678 views 0 times favorited 7 replies Add to Favorites Watch
View Eric's profile


875 posts in 3811 days

03-18-2008 04:41 AM

Topic tags/keywords: corrosion rust paper

My Lie-Nielsen scrapers (about the only Lie-Nielsen thing I can afford) came wrapped in what I originally thought was just some heavy tan wrapping paper. I noticed recently, when I actually read what was on the paper, that it is some sort of treated paper that helps protect the scraper contained within. Good thing I didn’t chuck it – my scrapers are still nice and shiny!

Are there any companies that sell rolls or sheets of this stuff? Being in Malaysia, and having an “exposed” shop (one wall has open grates for windows, no A/C), I’m concerned about my tools getting rusty. This paper would be handy for wrapping my saw blades, extra plane blades and maybe even taping to the soles of my planes.

I suppose I could make something (whether with paper or fabric)? If so, is there a standard oil I could use, or would I have to order something like T-9?


-- Eric at

7 replies so far

View Peter Oxley's profile

Peter Oxley

1426 posts in 3902 days

#1 posted 03-18-2008 06:25 AM

Eric, I know the paper you are talking about, but I’ve only seen it wrapped around tools. The guys as Lie-Nielsen are really nice – you might just send them a message and ask where you can get some.

Something else you might consider is keeping your tools in containers with desicants (air dryers). There is one type of desicant cartridge that changes color when it’s absorbed all the moisture it can, and you just put it in the oven to dry it out and you can use it again.

-- -- --

View Eric's profile


875 posts in 3811 days

#2 posted 03-19-2008 10:33 AM

Peter – I’ve sent off an email to them; thanks for the tip.

And meanwhile, I think I may have found it. There’s this stuff called VCI paper that you can buy by the roll or sheet. Sounds like this might be what I’m looking for! You can get 1000 9×9 sheets for $35, or $87 for a 200-yard roll (seems like a lot!).

-- Eric at

View Eric's profile


875 posts in 3811 days

#3 posted 03-19-2008 02:42 PM

Follow-up: I heard back from Lie-Nielsen (very quickly). They offer this VCI paper (VCI stands for Volatile Corrosion Inhibitor) under the name Ferro-Pak. Ten sheets (12×24) for $10.00. Those are Lie-Nielsen prices alright – but it’s better than Highland Woodworking who will charge you $12 for ten sheets. I think I’d just buy it from the previous link (, as it’s a better deal.

One last link: Daubert Cromwell (I think they make the stuff): This link takes you to a list of places that sell the paper worldwide. I even found a vendor in Malaysia!

-- Eric at

View Peter Oxley's profile

Peter Oxley

1426 posts in 3902 days

#4 posted 03-19-2008 03:11 PM

Thanks for the follow-up information!

-- -- --

View SPalm's profile


5320 posts in 3909 days

#5 posted 03-19-2008 03:12 PM

Thanks Eric. I had never thought about that, it makes sense now. I gott’a git me some.

-- -- I'm no rocket surgeon

View Tom Adamski's profile

Tom Adamski

306 posts in 3798 days

#6 posted 03-19-2008 03:55 PM

That paper is manufactured here in Illinois, USA. Specifically Addison, Illinois. Look them up on the web and contact them direct… it could be cheaper.


-- Anybody can become a woodworker, but only a Craftsman can hide his mistakes.

View kshipp's profile


179 posts in 3806 days

#7 posted 03-19-2008 05:50 PM

You might want to check these out also. Seems like they might be better for storage than the paper.

-- Kyle Shipp,

Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics