What is this?

  • Advertise with us

« back to Power Tools, Hardware and Accessories forum

Forum topic by spunwood posted 04-23-2011 05:29 AM 1457 views 0 times favorited 9 replies Add to Favorites Watch
View spunwood's profile


1202 posts in 2864 days

04-23-2011 05:29 AM

Topic tags/keywords: question jointer

I recently refurbished an old craftsman jointer. This fits into its fence. What is it?

-- I came, I was conquered, I was born again. ἵνα ὦσιν ἓν

9 replies so far

View a1Jim's profile


117126 posts in 3605 days

#1 posted 04-23-2011 05:37 AM

It looks like a very old jointer fence exstention

-- wood crafting & woodworking classes

View patron's profile


13609 posts in 3369 days

#2 posted 04-23-2011 05:47 AM

it’s that left over piece
that we always found
when we were kids
fixing things

-- david - only thru kindness can this world be whole . If we don't succeed we run the risk of failure. Dan Quayle

View Mickey Cassiba's profile

Mickey Cassiba

312 posts in 3059 days

#3 posted 04-23-2011 06:19 AM

Knife setting jig? Hard to tell without seeing it in position.

-- One of these hammers oughta fix that...

View learnin2do's profile


889 posts in 2879 days

#4 posted 04-23-2011 07:34 AM

I’m with patron -it looks like one of those guides or attachments that come with a tool, that you immediately toss in the drawer of tool attachments because most of the time it does not do exactly what you want it too, and you build your own jig, then, when you need it, for some reason you can only find all the other pieces of other tools…even the thing you are looking for-only the one that belongs with the broken one you used to have -and it won’t work with the one you want it for.

-- ~christine @ used2btrees

View pete79's profile


154 posts in 3168 days

#5 posted 04-23-2011 12:50 PM

I’m with A1Jim on this one. It looks just like a fence support/extension.

-- Life is a one lap race.

View saddletramp's profile


1180 posts in 2666 days

#6 posted 04-23-2011 01:02 PM

It’s the thingamabob that attatches to the doohicky to support the whatchamacallit when you want to thingey that you hardly ever have to do.

-- ♫♪♪♫♫ Saddletramp, saddletramp, I'm as free as the breeze and I ride where I please, saddletramp ♪♪♪♫♪ ...... Bob W....NW Michigan (Traverse City area)

View tinnman65's profile


1357 posts in 3442 days

#7 posted 04-23-2011 02:24 PM

I think A1jim is right with the fence extension, I think its used to cut a rabbet off the end of the fence. Why anyone would cut a rabbet this way is beyond me.

-- Paul--- Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep. — Scott Adams

View David Kirtley's profile

David Kirtley

1286 posts in 3026 days

#8 posted 04-23-2011 02:40 PM

It is a hold down for a mortising attachment for a drill press. (at least that is what it looks like to me). OR a early version of what we use featherboards for now.

-- Woodworking shouldn't cost a fortune:

View bubinga's profile


861 posts in 2696 days

#9 posted 04-23-2011 02:42 PM

That looks like a fence,with a hold down for a mortising machine
Do you have a picture of the jointer?

-- E J ------- Always Keep a Firm Grip on Your Tool

Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics