• Advertise with us

« back to Designing Woodworking Projects forum

Forum topic by Jerrymaxx posted 04-16-2011 03:33 PM 4296 views 0 times favorited 5 replies Add to Favorites Watch
View Jerrymaxx's profile


10 posts in 2578 days

04-16-2011 03:33 PM

Topic tags/keywords: paint whirligig woodworking arts and crafts question

Good Morning Everyone….............

We have several plans for Whirligigs and every one of the plans say to use EXTERIOR Acrylic Latex Primer and Paint. We want to purchase pints, but unfortunately nobody carries pints….........only quarts. I am wondering if we could use INTERIOR paints and then cover with an exterior sealer. Any suggestions and help is appreciated.



5 replies so far

View Lee Barker's profile

Lee Barker

2170 posts in 2784 days

#1 posted 04-16-2011 03:50 PM

The wood will seasonally expand and contract (and contrary to many, it does not “breathe”), so the only clear finish that would be recommended is spar varnish. I think you’d do better with exterior paint.

“used paint” is a good humor line, but it applies here. Do you have a Habitat ReStore nearby? Good source of paint, usually a buck a quart, sometimes partial, sometimes full.

Next suggestion would be Craigslist. Ask for free.

Paint stores these days carry pints and smaller “sample size” containers.



-- " his brain, which is as dry as the remainder biscuit after a voyage, he hath strange places cramm'd with observation, the which he vents in mangled forms." --Shakespeare, "As You Like It"

View 489tad's profile


3326 posts in 2945 days

#2 posted 04-16-2011 03:52 PM

I could be wrong but I think Rustoleum sells in small cans. If not give a exterior sealer a try.

-- Dan, Naperville IL, I.G.N.

View Vicki's profile


1090 posts in 3278 days

#3 posted 04-18-2011 06:52 AM

I’ve good luck with spray paints and the Deco Art craft paints for outdoor crafty items.

-- Vicki on the Eastern Shore of MD

View Jerrymaxx's profile


10 posts in 2578 days

#4 posted 04-24-2011 06:12 PM

Thanks so much for everyone’s help. For the first project I made a flying pig whirligig and my wife painted it with Patio Paints by decoart. They are great, but way too expensive because they only come in 2oz bottles. We have decided to use regular acrylic paints for future projects and then seal them with Spar Varnish. I use Spar Varnish on my Adirondack furniture and it holds up great. Thanks again for all the ideas. Now my next question for all of you is:

I purchased a “parts kit” for the pig, but would rather just get my own parts in the future so I can buy in bulk, make it bulk or whatever. I have checked every hardware store and home improvement store and nobody really has all I need. Is there a special place ya’ll buy your hardware for the whirligigs or do you make them? If you make…...............and ideas as to where I can get patterns, at least for the hubs, etc…..would be great.


View Joe Lyddon's profile

Joe Lyddon

10047 posts in 3985 days

#5 posted 04-24-2011 06:18 PM

I am using exterior paints by Rustoleom… acrylic… small cans… @ HD… cost me about $50 for 5 cans!

Oh, and remember… they can be mixed to form other colors! Helps a lot!

-- Have Fun! Joe Lyddon - Alta Loma, CA USA - Home: ... My Small Gallery:"

Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics