I was playing around (About 20years ago) with a CB radio, magnet mount antenna,I figured I would stick the antenna to ,table saw for a good ground plane,.When I got within 4in of saw ,with magnet mount, a big bolt of electricity,shot between the saw and the magnet mount,wow a big loud bamm ! magnet stuck to saw ,
(my hand was holding plastic -not touching metal) ,when I pulled off the antenna,there was a small crater burned into saw top, about 1/4in dia,and 1/16 deep.
I m not sure why this happened for sure. The saw stand was open at the front and back on the bottom .so I had covered it “to contain the dust” with plastic window covering ,the kind you stick on and heat with a hair drier .
I had noticed saw dust sticking to plastic ,like static was present, but didn’t think much about it , well apparently there was a build up of static.There was no dust collector involved, the saw was on wood floor .
The antenna cable was not hooked to anything at the time.
Again I don’t know exactly why this happened ,BUT IT DID. Scared the Sh** out of me.
-- E J ------- Always Keep a Firm Grip on Your Tool